MB-SEQ V3/V4 Control Surface PCB and matching case

Wilba

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah not really..... It's a replacement module. I guess maybe you could do something tricky and connect wires from the core32 module, to the PIC socket on the old board... But some parts would need to be replaced too. Preferably, this is probably a job for ultracore32, but it should be possible without tooo much mucking about.

You did 'whack' it.

History: We were discussing the pros and cons of smilies in the chat once. Bugfight hates smileys. I agreed that they're a poor substitute for eloquence, but pointed out that when you're limited to expressing yourself in text, particularly in a mixed-language environment (the net) sometimes they are a 'necessary evil' - such as putting a smiley after a sarcastic joke, just to make it clear that you're joking and not serious. Bugfight referred to this as using a smiley to 'whack someone with the joke stick', and thus *whack* was born. Personally I prefer to use ;) because it's 5 characters shorter. Recently *whack* has been abbreviated to **, which is much nicer, but noone outside of these forums knows wtf it means (not to mention that some people use weird smileys which don't have mouths. Don't ask me how that makes sense, but if ^^ is smiley eyes, then maybe ** is two people mooning you), and I don't see any advantage in using one pair of characters over another.... They're all a poor substitute for decent comms. So ;D will suffice for a 'whack', IMO. Both work just fine!

:D

Is there anything special to think about when selecting displays to fit the cs? Will this one fit: http://www.voti.nl/shop/p/LCD-22.html ?

Yes - If you're getting a panel from Doug, the mount holes should match where Doug will put the studs and the display area should match the hole in the panel, both in size and offset from the left edge of the PCB - the display area is centered vertically but not centered horizontally. I've put some effort into lining up the knobs with the middle of the four characters of a "step" or menu parameter etc. so displays should have a specific pixel and character size. Also, to make it all fit in conjunction with the MB-SEQ PCB, the LCDs must have the right PCB size.

Luckily, most 40x2 LCDs have a standard size, i.e. identical dimensions for the display area, mount holes, pads, etc. and that's the size I used, so finding the right LCD should be easy.

Use this as a guide for comparing datasheets, this one is "standard":

http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFAH4002A-YYH-JT.html

The one from Voti looks standard - you can compare datasheets yourself to be sure.

Note that some (most?) Optrex 40x2 LCDs (such as the ones from nebula's bulk order) have mount holes 1mm vertically wider - they seem to be the only manufacturer who does this, as I've never seen any other "standard" 40x2 LCD have anything other than a 26.5mm dimension. This means that Optrex displays fit tightly onto the studs I've put on my prototype panel. I will not change this dimension on the panels to be made by Doug or in the published FPD file. If you have an LCD from nebula's bulk order, or some other Optrex display, it should work fine.

OK, more fun...  While I'm waiting for my full-fledged CAD program to be shipped, I've been playing around with Google SketchUp, the free 3D modeler from the second largest evil empire on earth.

I just uploaded a basic model of the case design I'm working with.  You can see a picture and get the model at:

http://www.midiboxaddict.com/mbwilbaseq/

OK, more fun...  While I'm waiting for my full-fledged CAD program to be shipped, I've been playing around with Google SketchUp, the free 3D modeler from the second largest evil empire on earth.

I just uploaded a basic model of the case design I'm working with.  You can see a picture and get the model at:

http://www.midiboxaddict.com/mbwilbaseq/

mmm... looking good  :P

Rad :)  thanks /tilted/  ;)

Cool case design Doug.. I especially like the rackmount/tabletop output solution... 

I have an MS2000BR this would look very sexy next to...    :P

stryd_one, Wilba, thanks guys..

I should probably have crosschecked the specs more thoroughly before asking if they were suitible...

This will be my first midibox project so....  Please bear with some of my newbish questions...

Yes - If you're getting a panel from Doug, the mount holes should match where Doug will put the studs and the display area should match the hole in the panel, both in size and offset from the left edge of the PCB - the display area is centered vertically but not centered horizontally. I've put some effort into lining up the knobs with the middle of the four characters of a "step" or menu parameter etc. so displays should have a specific pixel and character size. Also, to make it all fit in conjunction with the MB-SEQ PCB, the LCDs must have the right PCB size.

Luckily, most 40x2 LCDs have a standard size, i.e. identical dimensions for the display area, mount holes, pads, etc. and that's the size I used, so finding the right LCD should be easy.

Use this as a guide for comparing datasheets, this one is "standard":

http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFAH4002A-YYH-JT.html

The one from Voti looks standard - you can compare datasheets yourself to be sure.

Note that some (most?) Optrex 40x2 LCDs (such as the ones from nebula's bulk order) have mount holes 1mm vertically wider - they seem to be the only manufacturer who does this, as I've never seen any other "standard" 40x2 LCD have anything other than a 26.5mm dimension. This means that Optrex displays fit tightly onto the studs I've put on my prototype panel. I will not change this dimension on the panels to be made by Doug or in the published FPD file. If you have an LCD from nebula's bulk order, or some other Optrex display, it should work fine.

I have compared the data sheets now and can conclude that the only difference is that the beveled out (usually black metal) part enclosing the actual LCD of the voti display is 2 mm wider and 0.5 mm higher than the crystal fonts reference. Is that much enough to matter?

I have compared the data sheets now and can conclude that the only difference is that the beveled out (usually black metal) part enclosing the actual LCD of the voti display is 2 mm wider and 0.5 mm higher than the crystal fonts reference. Is that much enough to matter?

That's fine.

Hi there.

I'd like to have one or perhaps two of these.

Email me;

chrisdescor@gmail.com

cheers!

I can't be bothered gathering names out of this thread, so here's the bulk order wiki page:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/wilba_mb_seq_pcb_bulk_order

This is just a "get my name down" type of thing. I'll create a separate thread in the Bulk Orders section and "announce" this bulk order more formally after I've finished the prototype, but some of you just love to put your name down on bulk order wiki pages, so I aim to please...  ;)