MIDI Technical fanatics brainwashing center

cimo

Once upon a time, I would have linked you here:

http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/midispec.htm

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

It's a sad time, the online midi community should mourn that site.... try midi.org.

this is way too bad, do you think is there a way to contact the guy and ask him fo rth web files? I/we could host it, that was the best resource ever!

Simone

Whoa that site rocks! Well, after playing around with it I was able to figure it out. It wasn't near as hard as I thought it would be. :) Thanks for all the help everyone! And I agree, someone needs to figure out how to resurrect the site, apart from having to use Wayback :)

I'm aware of wayback machine but the importance of that site is lost on you if you think that's good enough. That site is to midi, what google is to searching. ;)

There's a lot more to it than just that midi spec page - windows programming info being one.. Jeff put in a LOT of hard work teaching a lot of people about midi and how to use it with their gear, be that gear a PC, mac, synth or midibox or whatever....The sites been there since forever too.

If anyone is able to somehow make a complete working copy of the entire site, I am sure we could find a host.... I'd prefer to have the name's permission before hosting it but if he has just disappeared as it seems.....What can we do? A couple of us have tried to email him but it returns an NDR saying his mailbox is full.

It occurred to me that maybe the hosting company would be able to get the data for us from backup tapes, perhaps for a small fee (which I will pay).... But I think they'll want Jeff's permission to do that.

If anyone else is keen on trying to resurrect the site I'll help them to find assistance if they need it. A couple of emails to some of the big audio blogs like matrixsynth etc would surely spark up some interest.

Note: If we do get it back up, full credit for the content will remain with Jeff - it's only right.

In any case, someone should "spider" the website in the meantime. And check for any missing files/pictures. Wayback machine doesen't always include bigger images or files. At least one picture is missing, dunno if earlier snapshots have it? I'd do it myself but I'm currently running on my back-system's back-up system... with Linux... behaving badly >:(

Make the spider act/seem more like browser?

- Try limiting your spider to use only one HTTP connection at a time".

- Try finding a "stealth" mode of somesort, On default spiders indentify themselves as such...

On last resolt one could also save the webpages by hand but it would be time-consuming and tedious task, and all links to pictures and pages would have to remade.

A valuable website for all things MIDI recently disappeared. I was unable to reach the name by E-mail, so I did a web search and tried writing some snail-mail.

I was lucky to reach him, and he has asked that I pass the NEW address of the "MIDI Fanatics Technical Brainwashing Center" along to all my friends.

SO if you want any info on MIDI the MIDI protocol, the MIDI file format, MIDI interfaces, or whatever. Here we are again!

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/

Website is compliments of Jeff Glatt.

Enjoy,

LyleHaze

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I was lucky to reach him

You have no idea! At least a half dozen people have tried with no joy at all... I was about to start canvassing newsgroups he frequents, in attempt to find him :D

Thanks Lyle (and Jeff if you read this)