Alternative to Front Panel Designer?

jamie3

I've attempted to use Front panel designer however I find it very difficult to do any measuring and lining up of parts.

Are there any alternatives (preferably free) to FPD? I have some CAD background from university in AutoCad applications.

Cheers.

I find it very difficult to do any measuring and lining up of parts.

You have a CAD background and find it difficult to line things up in FPD? ;D

Try this: Right click -> align to grid.

What I do a lot is to change the grid to whatever it is I am working on.

If you are on a PC and you don't need 3D capabilities, again, try Solid Edge FREE 2D version. This is hi-end CAD software my friend.

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/velocity/solidedge/free2d/index.shtml

See this fact sheet (PDF): http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/Images/fs_se_2d_drafting_tcm53-24085.pdf

Whether you are using 2D across your company or for a specific 2D design process, Solid Edge 2D Drafting will give you an immediate advantage with production-proven capabilities including drawing layout, Goal Seeking, diagramming, and dimensioning.  It is fully compliant with ISO, ANSI, BSI, DIN, JIS and UNI, and it's absolutely FREE to download and use.

Solid Edge 2D Drafting eases the transition from 2D AutoCAD with import wizards, matched fonts and color schemes, XREF support, paper/model space support and much more. Get up to speed faster with a built-in Command Finder - never look for AutoCAD equilvalent command again.

Solid Edge 2D Drafting requires Windows XP or Vista and now includes the Free Solid Edge Viewer. Make sure you have Internet Explorer version 6.0 or later for the download.

try Solid Edge FREE 2D version. This is hi-end CAD software my friend.

OMG this is the worst case of hardcore advertising ever. Sounds like the guys that want me to change my carrier on a daily basis ;D

For someone that does not use any already, it is a good free solution.

I didn't say it wasn't, now did I?

Read. Think. Reply. Or don't (reply). Oh, and if you reply using quotes reference the stuff you quote.