MIDIbox Linux Distro

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good then Multimidicast it will be.

To get back to the topic. I played a little with MusixGNU. A dedicated distro for  musicians and artists. I think it is till too big (Don't need printers, graphics editors) and not everything is properly translated in English if at all.

I did not manage to install it on the harddisk.

All the nice musicial tools are there though with all the proper options. Good work.

I've put a lot of work into it so far, and all based on ubuntu studio... I think it's a bit too late to try other distros now.

Fortunately I've managed to find various packages for the later versions of the tools we need, and while I wait for a couple of things to reach completion, I want to start filling out the PPA with those packages. After that I'll make up metapackages and package up the stragglers, and it'll be ready to roll :)

• 2 weeks later...

hehehe it's getting there!

At the moment I'm spending a bit of time ironing out the details with the way a few things interact.. yaknow like, getting DVD codecs to work with subtitled movies, which means removing the standard video player that uses a gstreamer codecs backend and replacing it with the same app that uses a xine backend... For the end user, this takes only two lines in a script to do, but takes me a week of troubleshooting to pin down... and other annoying small scraps like that....

I think that all efforts will be a waste if people try to use this thing and it just won't behave, noone will bother to use it ;)

Anyway if you've got some diskspace to spare, you can start with WUBI (runs ubuntu in a VM within windows) or better yet ubuntu studio, and I can supply you with a list of repositories and packages to add to the system, so you can try it out...