MIDIbox SID V2 Editor

TK.

Very nice work - unfortunately, I am having the same problem as Imp. When the program is first started I can Receive or send a patch or bank dump, but immediately after this I start to get error messages - sometimes there is an error about the midibox not receiving the correct number of bytes, then there is an error that communication has been lost. My SID has the latest version of MIOS and the SID app, also MIOS Studio (and other Midi software) works perfectly on this system, so I don't think it's a Midi problem (system is a Dell laptop with USB Midi cable). Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

I am having the same problem on a Mac, OS X 10.4. never any problems w/ MIOS studio. Midibox Sid V2 Editor  starts out communicating, then has a connection issue.

Hm, interesting! I haven't been able to reproduce this yet on my machine. Have you tried the work-around TK suggested?

If that doesn't help I think some sort of discrepancy comes into life between the cores that are actually responding to the editors messages and the ones that SHOULD respond according to the information the editor has. Before certain commands the editor sends a 'primer'-message that enables the cores that should listen to everything that follows. Then the cores respond to everything that follows with a message saying 'acknowledged' for each of the cores that received the info. If that doesn't line up the editor gives an error.

Best,

Rutger

ps. Are you still able to continu working after the error's occur? I think I implemented this core-checking thing only as an extra checkup, but no further actions are taken or blocked if an error occurs.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice ,i have been trying to load the bank midibox_sid_presets_8580.syx into Midibox Sid V2 editor and i get this error message "This file does not contain a bank with 64 or 128 valid patches" has anyone any idea what could be causing this, i'm using winxp and the latest java ,the editor is talking to the sid as i can edit the patches  ?

Thanks for looking!!

Hi,

you are trying to upload a MBSID V1 bank - this won't work.

The same patches (with stereo support and some additional bassline/drum patches) are part of the MBSID V2 release package. You will find it under presets/v2_vintage_bank.syx

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Nils,

congrats! I think you found a real bug :). I was already aware of a much bigger problem: in some situations the editor and the synth can get out of sync (the bug you report is probably caused by it). So the patch that you save in the editor is not identical to the one in the synth. There's a new version of the editor to be released soon, which fixes this problem. However....this new version somehow elicits a bug with some midi-systems that I still don't understand! I cannot replicate it at home, but Thorsten can. I'm still trying to work over the MIDI connection stuff to find the cause of it. I'll let you know as soon as the new version is available!

Best,

Rutger

• 2 weeks later...

Can't seem to get this to work on my MacBook Pro/MacOS X 10.5.6/M-Audio MIDISport 2x2.

The editor starts up, then pops up a warning about the MIDI Configuration having changed. I can set MIDI In and Out ports, but if I do a Scan Hardware, it says it can't communicate with the SID. MIOS Studio seems to be able to do so. I've tried MMJ and Mandolane Java MIDI plugins, and get the same issue with both (though with MMJ, the ports of my MIDISport are correctly named, whereas they aren't with Mandolane, for some reason). Any tips to get it up-and-running?

a|x

Just 30 minutes ago I fixed this bug, since I was able to reproduce it as well (but with MMJ only)! ;)

-> http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fjava%2Forg%2Fmidibox%2Fmidi%2FMidiDeviceRouting.java

Could you please beta-test this version:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid/v2_editor/MBSIDV2_Editor_v0_2.zip

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hmm... not sure if it 0.2 solves my issue or not actually. I just realised that I had the MIDI jumper installed so that all the MIDI data was being routed to/from Core #3, and I only have SIDs installed in slots #1 and #2, so I guess it probably wasn't going to work, anyway...

Having corrected that issue, I've found 0.2 seems to work fine. Except I can't seem to upload

'v2_vintage_bank.syx'

from the SID V2 release folder/Presets. I get a message

"This file does not contain a bank with 64 or 128 valid patches!'.

a|x 

Having corrected that issue, I've found 0.2 seems to work fine. Except I can't seem to upload

'v2_vintage_bank.syx'

from the SID V2 release folder/Presets. I get a message

"This file does not contain a bank with 64 or 128 valid patches!'.

Works fine at my side

Which MBSID release are you using? It could make sense to download the latest and to try it again (just to ensure, that you haven't changed the file somehow so that it is corrupted)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 weeks later...

A new editor version v0.4 is available: Download

Main changes:

• some parts now use the same classes like MIOS Studio to improve overall robustness of the java tools
  • Ensemble librarian added!
  • Ensemble editor added!
  • Multiple selection possible (to send multiple patches at once, copy multiple at the same time, etc.
    NOTE: for some functions (i.e. upload a patch to the buffer) doesn't make sense. In this case the first item of the selection is taken as 'the one').
  • Improved SysEx handling, better Sysex-bug workaround (RC27 slave don't crash anymore).

The visualisation of ensemble data will be improved later (e.g. MIDI Notes are currently displayed as a number, MIDI channel is counted from 0 instead of 1, etc...) - we thought, that releasing a version which allows to edit an ensemble is more important (especially for users who haven't built a control surface yet) than the cosmetic stuff.

/Edit: complete changelog:
    Complete ChangeLog:

• play and panic buttons added in Sysex editor
    • default startup tab in librarian is now bank A
    • better init functions (loading from internal syx files)
    • multiple selection functionality added (solution for 64 entry banksticks)
    • ensemble editor added
    • ensemble librarian added
    • check loading midi setup (strange behavior!)
    • oscillator link or stereo link would not update the internal patch properly
    • retaining settings of midi configuration
    • improved sysex handler (makes use of new sysex commands in RC19)
    • simplified midi routing
    • fix alot of minor bugs
    • improved drum sequencer representation
    • fixed sysex handler for Mac
    • improved WaveTable representation
    • arpeggiator patterns UD2 and DU2 missing
    • modulation inversion buttons not working properly
    • fixed values as modulation source not working properly
    • LFO One shot button added
    • LFO Key sync shortcut added
    • Reorganized tabs
    • LFO sine wave button not behaving properly
    • name mistake in lead engine parameter list
    • wrong cc's above knob assignment
    • rate knob labels did not follow MIDI sync on/off from patch

• Best Regards, Thorsten.

top!! though i didn't have chance to test the new version & ensembles out really. i uploaded some patches w the editor to SID and played some sounds until quite soon it freezed. i don't think it necessarily has anything to do with the new version of the editor - the older version made SID freeze sometimes too. but this time the synth kept booting and sending the upload request again and again. i tried to upload the setup_6851.hex a couple of time and even the MIOS with no luck.

what could make the SID hang permanently this way, known issue? how the hell can i slap it awake again!?

peace