DOG LCDs

TK.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hey phil: i have a couple questions and comments about connecting this and your schematic:

did you limit the current from the 5v b+/b- source?  your schematic shows a resistor to the cathode but it doesn't say a value.

your connections to anode and cathode from b+/b- are backward.  also should be 9x1uF capacitors, and i believe they can be polarized because the pins of the lcd are labeled p and n.  i'm sure non-polarized are ok but harder to find in that capacitance (is this correct?).

does it count backward with the data lines?  you connect your first to d7 and i'm assuming it goes backward from there to other lcds?  in my pcb schematic i've connected like this:

D7 --> lcd1

D6 --> lcd2

D5 --> lcd3

D4 --> lcd4

D5 --> lcd5

i've also adapted this to the pinning of the core32's lcd header instead of the regular core.  i'm not sure if the pinout is the same (doesn't matter i guess), but are any of the actual connections different?

thanks!

ultra

Hi Ultra.

Yes I limited the current to the backlight as per the datasheet, 56R IIRC.

I always screw up anode/cathode connections on circuits (bit of a mental block I think) yes you are quite correct!

The datasheet doesn't mention P/NP caps but the datasheet example uses NP and luckilly I had a never finished talkback project that used lots of 1uF NP so I stole them :) You may be able to use polarized but it could be a bit tricky working out which way round to put them. Maybe worth checking with TK to see what he used?

Yes you are quire correct about the data line assignments. I moved away from the conventional D0=lcd1, D1=lcd2 because I am using an 18F4685 and D0-D3 are not available so I thought that I would start at D7 instead!

AFAIK, the pinout for the CORE32 LCD is different to the CORE8 to make it more 1-1 for standard CLCD's so you may need to change it a bit...

Cheers

Phil

Hi Thorsten,

Yes, I check this: there are no 2x40 DOG LCDs available, but large displays which are properly aligned to the 16 GP encoders and buttons are essential for the ergonomic user interface.

I know.

Which distance have the encoder to each other?

Is there enough room to fit 6 displays (3 Encoders per display)?

Can you send me your Eagle schematic (mbhp_lcd7_dog.pdf)?

I want to use it for my Eagle library.

Best Regards

Jack

Yes I thought about this as well.

If you put 3 x DOG CLCD's together, the viewable would be approx 165x15mm. For this you will get  a 48x3 display. The viewable area is fairly close to a 40x2 size CLCD viewable area (152.5x16.5) I don't know how big the slots on Wilba's panel are but it could possibly be made to work.

I'm not sure how workable it would be and whether 48x3 is a usable size. The current SPI based DOG CLCD driver (that I have just committed) would support up to 8 of them so 6 could replace the 2 off 40x2 displays....

Cheers

Phil

• 1 year later...

what are the references of the DOG Lcd and the DOG touchscreen @ mouser ? (the pink one of TK)

are there drivers (uc1610 ?) for :

http://fr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ELECTRONIC-ASSEMBLY/EA-TOUCH160-1/?qs=XoD1gVtqLQvx3SsJpN7Png%3d%3d

and

http://fr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ELECTRONIC-ASSEMBLY/EA-DOGXL160S-7/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt7dcPGmvnkBoVrwDsRKMrKHVulqwLaEg8%3d

Best regards

Edited by julienvoirin

Hi.

Not sure about mouser product codes as usually you buy the display and then select one of the backlights, this is the manufacturers website: http://www.lcd-module.com/products/dog.html

Yes there are MIOS32 drivers for the DOGXL displays (UC1610) based. It also supports the 4 greyscale mode of the UC1610.

Cheers

Phil

Yes that is exactly what you need. Some of the backlights work better with some displays and the STN pos reflective display doesn't work with a backlight at all.

This website has a table showing which backlight is recommended with which display (from the UK distributor) http://www.mmselectr...o.uk/lcddog.htm

Cheers

Phil

Edited by philetaylor

• 7 months later...

I have just received negative doglcd with red backlight with help from kokipsiho.

I like it, but not entirely satisfied with it`s contrast. \

May somebody tell me how exactly can I change the contrast in driver. I see these lines, but not sure how to increase/decrease it.

movlw 0x50 ; Booster off, set contrast C5/C4
movlw 0x7c ; set contrast C3/C2/C1

Am I looking in right place?

I`m having hard times compile MB808 application to use dog driver. Can somebody please explain this in details. I tried to follow steps from Readme file.

"Assembler-Only" Applications

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) main.asm (or main.inc): ensure, that the application includes 

the global <app_lcd.inc> instead of "app_lcd.inc"
Where do I set it and how? I don`t see anything like that in .asm files of MB808
  2) Makefile: include app_lcd.mk

---

# include application specific driver

include $(MIOS_PATH)/modules/app_lcd/clcd/app_lcd.mk
I believe my makefile should look like this:
MIOS_PATH = .

MIOS_BIN_PATH = ./bin

export MIOS_PATH

export MIOS_BIN_PATH

include Makefile.orig

# include application specific LCD driver (dummy driver by default)

# include application specific driver for DOG LCDs

include $(MIOS_PATH)/modules/app_lcd/dog/app_lcd.mk
  3) main.asm (or main.inc): call MIOS_LCD_TypeSet from USER_Init hook:

---

;; select LCD type #7

;; (custom LCD driver, hooks in $MIOS_PATH/modules/app_lcd/dog/app_lcd.asm module will be used)

;; Parameter #1 and #2 select the enable pins like for common CLCD driver

;; Note that the DOG driver switches to CLCD (type #0) after initialisation!

;; Up to 2 DOG based LCDs are supported

;; E input of first LCD at D.7, E of second LCD @C.4

movlw	0x37		; E pin

movwf	MIOS_PARAMETER1

movlw	0x24		; E2 pin

movwf	MIOS_PARAMETER2

movlw	0x07

call	MIOS_LCD_TypeSet

Where exactly should I put this code? I have tried various locations in the .asm file, but than I`m receiving error when compiling. I Have also tried to put it in the main.inc but receiving error again.

Sasha

I am not very confident with MIOS compile using SVN but i know that the LCD can be set using command line in Terminal OSX as i tried it several months before

I did a post in Programmers lounge several months ago, regarding to MIOS32

it is export function

Edited by julienvoirin

Julien, the link is not OK, and search engine don`t give me any results. Can you please check it again?

EDIT: It must be because Programmers Lounge is not public forum.

I have tried this LCD with dog test application and it worked fine, after that I change just makefile to use dog driver.

After compiling, uploading and rebooting it seams LCD is working fine, but after powering down, it fails to initialize. When I upload the same MB808 code, it don`t initialize until I upload test app first, and than MB808. Again, it work until powering it down.

Edited by Sasha