So who's from where around here anyway???

Guest Flownezz

Guest logicat2001

Minneapolis, MN it is for me...

And I've just received me first three PIC's, and begun to gather all the documentation/parts lists/components required for a MIDIBox LC.

Now my first hurdle is burning those PIC's; I'm a Mac guy running on an iMac (I haven't seen a serial port for years now...)

:P

Best,

Anton

hey logicat, welcome to the world of midiboxing! see if you can get the use of a pc to program chips etc... It will be easier when asking questions later about configuring the .asm files, and turning them into .syx files, if you can relate them to software that the rest of us are using :'( yeah, I like the mac for some things (like protools!) but for other stuff, it is frustrating that apple try to make srviceable, common protocols redundant! (like floppy drives, serial ports, paralell ports etc!) apple seem to think we all have lots of money to spend!!

good luck... btw, what midi interface will you be using?

and don't worry if you can't access a pc, someone here (me if you like... assuming you don't try to go beyond my skills depth) will be able to make all the .syx files you need to get your midiboxes going. (assuming you know how to send sysex (.syx) from your mac)

Guest logicat2001

Quick responses! Ok, here are two of my own:

#1) I tried, but was unable to pull the wool over the tech savvy minds here; yes stryd_one the appropriately named Universal Serial Bus IS serial. I promise I won't try that trick again (ya smart alec! ;)).  

But after some net research, I've still not yet located a DIY USB PIC programmer, nor any open source *nix project that I can bend to my devious wishes for burning these uCApps PICs.  I am a total newbie to the world of DIY electronics, so I'll keep researching and I'll give a big holler on this board if I ever do find something.

#2) Thanks for the welcome, Steven_C. I've got a couple of possibilities for local folks with PCs, so hopefully it will all go smoothly. I noticed a Perl script and that's no problem as I'm running Os X and have access to all the *nix loveliness. I'm running Logic so no problem generating or sending any required sysex.

My MIDI interface is a 2in/4out MT4 from Emagic.

Finally, thanks for the offer for assistance. I must admit that everyone on this board is super helpful and I'm shocked at the good vibes here.

Thorsten, thanks for getting this all started, and to everyone else a big hello.

I'll see you all on the boards soon!

Best,

Anton

aka Logicat

Gday Logicat :)

I've sent an email off to flownez (also on this board) to ask him if he might know something to help you out, he's better at mac's than I...

I wonder... Our PS/2 Mice and USB Mice and Serial Mice, can all have adapters on the end of the cable that makes them work like any of the others... I wonder if you could use a straight cable convertor (no componentry just wires)? Obviously the driver might be the hiccup there...

I'm shocked at the good vibes here.  

its a challenge for us, (oops I'm definately not being modest here! Probably exaggerating a bit) And it is such a break from the norm! This forum is inspiring, for most of us, there is so much positivity!

thanks all! ;D

I wonder... Our PS/2 Mice and USB Mice and Serial Mice, can all have adapters on the end of the cable that makes them work like any of the others... I wonder if you could use a straight cable convertor (no componentry just wires)? Obviously the driver might be the hiccup there...

I've wondered this myself, also, I found a midi interface design on the net for mac, that uses the mac's own version of the serial port. (not sure if all macs have these) but due to time constraints, I may buy a usb interface soon. (or maybe not, due to money constraints)

bye, Steve

Guest JimCook

Beautiful Portland, Oregon!  Home of the best summer weather in the United States (which only lasts three months, followed by 9 months of deary, dank cold rain and clouds...)

Jim

Hey logicat2001,

Check Dontronics at http://www.dontronics.com for a USB PIC Programmer kit for about $34USD. The page is at http://www.dontronics.com/diyk149.html . Looks like a decent kit, but I think the software is PC oriented. I don't know how it would work with Virtual PC running on the iMac. (I am running a iMac with OS X Jaguar so I have the same problems with ports.)

Later,

Mickey

Guest Simon_Dreyer

Hi Folks

Another one from Perth Western Australia and in need of help as I'm about to start building a Midibox, so if any of you other Perth guys could give any guidance PLEASE drop me a line at simon2@iinet.net.au

Perth has a history of embracing new technology, We were one of the first places where musos used sequncers live MC500s etc. It was many years before Sydney, Melb etc caught up.

Regards Simon