2 sids to 1 core clarification (a.k.a. Noob goes stereo)

Snoozr

Hello everyone,

I am trying to add a second Sid module from Smash for a stereo version.  There are a lot of post documenting that there is a one to one relationship between J2 on the Sid module and J10 on the core module in terms of wiring with a ribbon cable.  So far so good for Mono and I am done with Mono.

When it comes to stereo I've found

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,11729.msg94305.html#msg94305

as being the closest to something that I can comprehend, but I'm not quite comprehending it as much as I was needing to.

If I follow the "everything has a one-to-one relationship" logic, then what I thought it would do was take a piece of ribbon cable that was twice as long as the previous one.  Then I would just put one extra IDC connector in the middle to go along with the standard 2 at the ends.  Then just push down on the IDC connectors and prepare myself for some stereo madness.  This is what I'm really hoping is correct because I like the ability to easily attach and detach the Sid module(s) as needed  (I've had to do it dozens of times for various things).

If I follow the "follow the http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_8xsid_c64_psu_optimized.pdf" logic, then I would abandon the one-to-one relationship and do a custom wiring job for both Sid modules according to the diagram.  This is because I probably can't get Core J14 to be tied into my limited IDC skills.  The weird part about this logic for me is that it contradicts the first one but it seems more consistent with the post above.

Thanks gang ;D ;D

If I follow the "everything has a one-to-one relationship" logic, then what I thought it would do was take a piece of ribbon cable that was twice as long as the previous one.  Then I would just put one extra IDC connector in the middle to go along with the standard 2 at the ends.  Then just push down on the IDC connectors and prepare myself for some stereo madness.  This is what I'm really hoping is correct because I like the ability to easily attach and detach the Sid module(s) as needed  (I've had to do it dozens of times for various things).

It's not quite 1:1.

Note the green "wire" connecting J14 to SO on the 2nd (right) SID.

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_8xsid_c64_psu_optimized.pdf

Make your "twice as long" cable, but then splice out the wire going to SO on the 2nd (right) SID. Then solder to this wire another wire to join up to J14 on the Core. (i.e. the green wire in the diagram). Then you will effectively get what you want - a cable that connects to two SID modules. You can use a single crimp pin to connect the "green wire" to J14, or if you have none spare, maybe salvage a crimp pin with wire already attached from some other cable, maybe you have some spare cables that came with your computer... as a last resort, solder the wire to J14 :)

I followed the optimized PSU schematic for my 1Core+2SID's and it works fine here. There are some older schematics that contradict this one but If you are building a V2 SID then stay on the V2 page as much as possible and you should be ok. At least that is what I did ;-)

//Peter

as wilba already pointed out, for one stereo pair, it is 1:1 (except for that pesky pin labeled "SO" on SID1 R)

here's an easy way to make this cable:

- make a ribbon cable with a connector on each end and one in the middle

(make sure they are all oriented correctly with pin 1 on the same wire)

- connect each end to a sid module with pin 1 at SO

- connect the middle connector to the core

- cut just the SO wire on the SID R side of the core connector, and pull some of that

wire away from the ribbon (enough to reach J14)

i find it unlikely that you will get noise from the power supply connections on J10 with just a stereo pair.

if you do, you can always cut those two lines later and connect them directly to the psu as in the pdf

Great - that is a really elegant solution about separating out the one line!!!  I am looking forward to trying it out right after I log out. ;D  If it works (which I am sure it will), I will repost a confirmation because it looks like a very easy and elegant way for beginners (as opposed to a rat's nest of wires I was contemplating).

Then, according to the diagram at http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_8xsid_c64_psu_optimized.pdf from Note #3 at bottom left, I have to snip out my 7805 and then short out the two outside pins.  I don't know if this applies to me as I am running a separate 15v power supply to the Sids as my C64 power supplies were busted (hence, no optimized circuit for me, but the separate 15v has worked so far).  Does this sound right to anyone - I would hate to clip out my 7805 and then have to desolder and resolder in a new one as I am really bad at desoldering.

I also have to short out my J4s (I think) and then I am done. 

THANKS ;D ;D ;D ;D