Roland XP-10 Midi help?

Therezin

Hi All,

I recently acquired a Roland XP-10 that I'm trying to get talking to my computer. I've hooked it up to the MIDI cables from my soundblaster (I know, I know...) gameport, turned off Midi Local on the XP-10 just like it says to in the manual, and... nothing. I've got no midi going into the PC, and when I send stuff from Midi-Ox the XP-10 gives no response. Has anyone on here come across anything similar? I'm pretty certain that it's not a problem with my PC, since my old keyboard controller (an ancient Evolution branded as a Commodore) worked fine and the only thing I've changed is the keyboard.

Swapped the cables around? Can you plug teh old board in to confirm it's still OK now? Got a hardware monitor you can try? (midibox will do nicely) LED on the cable ala midibox midi troubleshooting? Trust the guy who sold it to ya? Got a friend's PC you can try? I'm outta ideas :)

OK, this is just embarrassing. After a couple hours messing with soundcard settings, wading through the XP-10's awful menu system while constantly repeating "It's gotta be something weird with this new keyboard" and looking for the magic menu setting "make things work" I look under my desk and what do I see?

A 15-pin D-sub plug.

Like the kind that should really be connected to my soundcard.  :-[

I swear, some days it's just not even worth getting up in the morning.

Thanks S1, Goblinz - I know the question was pretty damn stupid to begin with, looking back. Not as stupid as I bloody feel now tho  ;D

Congratulations. You are my third "it's not plugged in" for today. And I don't work with newbies either - it happens to the best of us.... with surprising regularity!

I was so paranoid I'd do it with a cooling fan on my new PC, that I checked them all twice, even though I could see all the fans spinning :D