"Sync Button": send sync on next bar while running ?

stuartm

This came up on my mind yesterday:

When running the SeqV3 as main MIDI clock source, let say I keep the Seq running,

a MIDI slave device has to be stopped (loading new Project in Ableton for example)

If I want to get the slave device back in sync without stopping the groove, I just hit Start again on the beginning of a bar.

If it's spot on, you'll mostly notice no flaw in the groove, the SeqV3 stays mostly in time and the slave gets a MIDI Start signal and we're in sync again.

Same thing is when you feel one of the MIDI slaves is out of sync.

So my idea is (a bit similiar to the clock box, I guess):

What about an option that control the behaviour of the START button.

As an option, while the sequencer is running and you hit Start again, it doesn't do anything right now,

but sends out another MIDI Start Command at the beginning the next bar.

So just tell it to sync all slaves without loosing the main clock.

Could also be placed on a specific button, like the Metronome button I never use, thus making a new "Sync" button.

Anybody involved in the clockbox thing got any advice how complicated that would be ?

Any comments are welcome !

• 1 month later...

That's a great idea Stuart!

Could also be placed on a specific button, like the Metronome button I never use, thus making a new "Sync" button.

Anybody involved in the clockbox thing got any advice how complicated that would be ?

Any comments are welcome !

It would be cool if this was somehow adjustable to something other than a bar.  In techno it is sometimes fun to bring in a new rhythm at a different part of the bar (usually 1/8 note, 1/4 note or 1/2 note).  That's a really "Detroit" thing to do, and you can expect to hear it from the likes of Derrick May or Jeff Mills.  At the right time, it drives a crowd nuts when it's done well.

So ... maybe the behaviour of this "sync" button could be configured?  Or maybe hold down sync and then press the button for the step you want the "start" message to be sent on.

Adding an external sync function will be easy.

Adding the possibility to define the bar position at which the MIDI Start event should be sent will be difficult, as I don't know, at which page the value should be configurable - any (realistic) idea?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Adding an external sync function will be easy.

Adding the possibility to define the bar position at which the MIDI Start event should be sent will be difficult, as I don't know, at which page the value should be configurable - any (realistic) idea?

Would it not be possible to select it on-the-fly by pressing one of the step buttons at the same time?  (So you hold down the "external start" button and press step 9, for example, and the sequencer would send a start command when it reaches that step.)

Hey, this is finally a great idea! :)

So: pressing the "external start" button will send the MIDI start event once the currently visible track reaches step #1

(the track which is/was visible while triggering the button - you can switch to other tracks thereafter...)

Pressing & holding this button allows you to select a different step which will trigger the MIDI start event.

"currently visible track" means: dividers and progression parameters will be taken into account! Just select the track which is used as a "reference" for your external gear.

The button function will be available in the Utility page, but it will also be assignable to a dedicated button.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

It's implemented:

o it's now possible to send MIDI start events to external sequencers while
    MBSEQ is running. This allows you to re-synchronize them with MBSEQ if
    they have been stopped (e.g. to select a new pattern on these devices),
    or if they are playing at a different tempo.

The "SEQ_BUTTON_ExtMIDIStart" function can be assigned to a dedicated
    button (e.g. you could replace the Metronome function if not used),
    but it's also accessible by pressing MENU + METRONOME button.

By default, the MIDI start event will be sent at the first step.
    It's possible to select a different step by pressing MENU + METRONOME +
    one of the GP buttons (step will be displayed by GP LEDs).
    Pressing MENU is not required if the function is assigned to a dedicated button.

To evaluate this function, try following steps:
      - connect a MIDI sequencer (or synth. with sequencer function) to your
        MBSEQ and configure it for MIDI slave mode.
      - go into MIDI menu and ensure, that MIDI clock is enabled for all OUT
        ports which should send the MIDI start event (+ a MIDI clock)
      - press PLAY button of MBSEQ - the external sequencer should start to
        play as well.
      - now stop the external sequencer
      - (change a patch, sound, or whatever...)
      - press MENU + METRONOME: the external sequencer should start once MBSEQ
        reaches the first step.

Another try:
      - both sequencers are playing in synch.
      - press MENU + METRONOME; Hold METRONOME
      - press a GP button to select the step at which the external sequencer
        should restart[/code]

The feature to send a MIDI start event based on the currently visible step will be available with MBSEQ V4, as it requires a different way how to handle MIDI events (timestamping required, as MIDI start has to be sent *before* MIDI clock)

However, the V3 solution is already quite useful. :)

The sources are already available in the repository, prebuilt binaries will be released soon.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 1 month later...

Testing the sync function now and it's working fine.

As I said before, i put it on the metronome button of my MBSeq.

So with the push of a button - tadaa! Sync magic  :D

I'm planning on doing a video with the new feature, let's hope I'll find some time for it.