gm5x5x5 Bulk Order

nILS

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No the sign up process you describe is correct. The one issue you may have is that there is no longer a link to forum accounts so you may have to sign up for a Wiki account separately. Otherwise, the process is as you descrie. Note, however, that the chips are sold via a different bulk order. So you will be putting your name down on two lists. See post for the specific steps to get the chips.

This process might sound a bit annoying but keep in mind these bulk orders are done by other members of the forum who also do this for a hobby. In other words, you can't just go to Best Buy and buy a GM 5x5x5 board :) Of all the methods of figuring out initial orders, the wiki does seem to be the best place. It makes life simpler for the guy doing the bulk order. The more life is simpler for him, the happier everyone will be because the more people will want to offer up bulk orders.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I need lots of midi ports with multi client capability. Until now my only choice was to use the Emagic AMT8 interfaces. As they are no longer supported (no more drivers above winXP) I was looking for alternatives and stumbled over the gm5x5x5 Bulk Order page. They look awesome and I'd like to buy some. I've read the wiki pages, but I've still some questions:

- Are the drivers more or less future proof (at least up to win7 64bit)?

- Is it possible to use several gm5x5x5 at the same time (each on its own USB connector I guess?)?

- What's the eeprom for? Will I have to program it myself?

Thanks,

Shiro

Hi

I need lots of midi ports with multi client capability. Until now my only choice was to use the Emagic AMT8 interfaces. As they are no longer supported (no more drivers above winXP) I was looking for alternatives and stumbled over the gm5x5x5 Bulk Order page. They look awesome and I'd like to buy some. I've read the wiki pages, but I've still some questions:

- Are the drivers more or less future proof (at least up to win7 64bit)?

- Is it possible to use several gm5x5x5 at the same time (each on its own USB connector I guess?)?

- What's the eeprom for? Will I have to program it myself?

Thanks,

Shiro

Running 3 5x5x5s right now on win 7 64bit with no problems :ahappy: so yes and yes to your first questions. The eeprom was for changing the name of the interface as it is displayed when connected and also allows for changing the names of the individual ports (this can also be done by editing the driver) however due to some issues with how the actual chip is coded, none of these things can be done when running all five i/o's so you dont need the eeprom at all, it will run in the default midibox config just fine without it.

Running 3 5x5x5s right now on win 7 64bit with no problems :ahappy: so yes and yes to your first questions. The eeprom was for changing the name of the interface as it is displayed when connected and also allows for changing the names of the individual ports (this can also be done by editing the driver) however due to some issues with how the actual chip is coded, none of these things can be done when running all five i/o's so you dont need the eeprom at all, it will run in the default midibox config just fine without it.

Thanks for your answers, Altitude! I'm placing my order right now then :)

btw it was your post on gearslutz.com that made me search for the 5x5x5. Funny you are answering my questions here now :)

Shiro

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to TK's bulk order page for the chips, yes you can now request chips with this bulk-order:

"But Nils runs a bulk order for the gm5x5x5 which provides all 5 MIDI IN/OUTs on a single board. The remaining GM5 chips can be purchased via Nils!"

So now we just have to get to 100 boards again :) Almost halfway.

I have to say mine works like a CHAMP so I highly recommend grabbing these up if you're in the market for an inexpensive and fun MIDI->USB option. SMD soldering was not all that hard either (though I think I may have killed one chip out of the 3 I bought from the last bulk order - doh!).