My MB-6582 stopped working and it's all nILS' fault...

Wilba

I was playing some SID files that nILS sent me, using ASID XP and my MB-6582 when the MB-6582 stopped playing SID files (it happens a lot). So I reboot the MB-6582 and it started acting weird, some LEDs that shouldn't be on were lit at less than full brightness, and some button presses would jump to completely different menu pages. nILS' SID files had some kind of C64 opcode virus that infected my master PIC, so I reburned it with the bootloader and uploaded MIOS and MB-SID app again but the problems are still there... maybe the virus has moved now and is jumping around the PCB... do I have to now desolder all the components and solder new ones? How do I get rid of this nasty virus now? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU NILS!!!!!!!!!!!! How could you send me SID files with a virus and fry my MB-6582 just before I run 6582A SID MEGA-SALE #7???????????? ARGHGHGHG GRRRRRR >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

[me=nILS Podewski]hides under desk[/me]

In case people wanna be paranoid or live on the edge - It was one of these files:

size name

7.719 Barbarian.sid

2.784 BEVERL~1.SID

4.036 COMMAN~1.SID

4.478 CRAZY_~1.SID

3.507 CRAZY_~2.SID

6.555 DOGGY_~1.SID

3.670 Dummy_II.sid

8.866 Dwayne Bakewell - Old Friends.sid

2.801 ENDZAK_2.SID

5.350 F.A.K.E - Main Music.sid

5.346 Freestyler.sid

4.393 Graham Hansford - Caverns of Sillach.sid

23.517 GREAT_~1.SID

8.192 Hero.sid

9.420 INTERN~1.SID

35.617 LAST_N~1.SID

23.898 LAST_N~2.SID

12.227 Leaving_on_a_Jetplane.sid

4.291 MAIN_F~1.SID

4.206 mITCH & dANE - Melissa D.sid

3.569 Nothing_Else_Matters.sid

4.211 RAGGAMUFFIN.SID

9.325 ROB_HUBBARD_INSTRUMENTS.SID

3.832 Rubber_Duckie.sid

10.618 SAMURA~1.SID

4.221 Sesame_Street.sid

8.879 Smash_TV.sid

3.340 SMILIN~1.SID

3.185 STAR_W~1.SID

2.617 TECHNO.SID

4.212 Unforgiven.sid

All taken from the HVSC 4.~

nILS' SID files had some kind of C64 opcode virus that infected my master PIC, so I reburned it with the bootloader and uploaded MIOS and MB-SID app again but the problems are still there...

This is so deja vu...

Apparantely you forgot to solder D1 of the core module, which acts as a protection diode against illegal opcodes received from the MIDI interface. Take care that the diodes between J15:D2/3 are stuffed on all cores as well, otherwise the opcodes could be forwarded to the slaves via CAN bus, and they will be sent back on the next power-on cycle so that the master will be infected again after a fresh MIOS and MBSID installation.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: FAQMARKER