Cheap SBlive ADC for 4 inputs!

uclaros

Try 2 times too get those sample... and still nithing!...

Well yes, after some test I understand how the POWERFUL KX driver works!!! it's amazing! and the routing is "hardware" wooaaw! the emu 10k1 is a great chip!!! ;)

I think I will order the CS5331 from USA... I'm so exited about this!! As I see, we can use the 4 I2S inputs (one is in master mode connected to the AC97... maybe some mods here, the 3 other one are in slave mode). So it makes 8 inputs, plus the SPDIF.

We can also synchronized easily 2 SB LIVE :)

But by now I'm lookign for those CS5331, use all the I2S inputs... but I have a SB Live value, and there's noty the IO connector, so it will be hard to plug them but impossible I hope!! ;D

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I change a little my project... I ordered 3 sample of PCM1804 from TI (24bits adc with I2S), and 3 buffer (TTL input and CMOS output).

The big problem with the PCM1804 is that it's in TTL, not CMOS... and the SBLIVE is, I think, in CMOS...

I think I'll recieved it soon, and then I can started work on it :). I see that emu10k1 is hable to do 24bit capture... so maybe I will be able to use the full resolution of the ADC... :)

on a "simple" sblive, you have one analog input, (the mix of CD in, line in, mic in maybe...)

But this card is full of secret ;) The original creative driver don't use all the power of the emu 10k1.

let me explain it quicly : you have, on the emu 10k1 (the dsp), 4 I2S inputs (I2S can handle 2 channels), and 2 spdif in, and another I2S that I don't understand how it works by now. You have also 4spdif out, and 2 i2S out (I think, have to check it too). Plus the internal fx processor.

With the KX driver, you are able to connect every input to output, and... you have 16 ASIO ouput :) In fact the emu10k1 have 32 ouput, and 16 are handle as asio with the KX driver.

The KX driver handle every I2S and spdif input/outputs.

So, by adding 4 ADC (3 on the 3 I2S input unused, and the one which is used for the AC97)you can have 8 analog inputs, plus 2 SPDIF inputs :)

huumm let me try to do the mod... I'm going to use 24bit ADC... they looks good, but harder to deal with than the CS5331...

But don't worry, as soon as I receive them, I'll play with it! so I think I will post news soon!  ;)

/edit

hhmmm I make some mistakes in the previous post : I don't receive the ADC yet! TI said I will receive them on the 06/08 ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Pilo!

it's working  with the PCM1804  i'm goin now to test it deeper too see what we can do with it, and what we can't. I think I'm going to make a website on it too!  

Excellent! Well done :)

I forgot to say thanks to Gilles fot the PCB

What PCB is this?

Nice

Dan

he made the PCB for the pcm1804, some caps, the jumpers to configure the PCM1804, and the connector to connect it with the SB.

I have a SBLIVE value, and so no AUD_EXT connector, which mean that I solder directly onto the card! with the FULL edition of the SBlive, there's a connector with everything we need! :)

The pcm1804 is maybe hard to find, I take this because it was to get sample! hehe :)

Really happy to see that my PCB works !!!

Great news !

Now i plan to create a "SBLive! daughter DAC" card ...

i will certainly create a board which "options" chips ...

I mean :

1 daughter DAC board with:

- filtered power supply.

- connectors to take the audio signals on the diffferent style of SBLIVE ! (Value, etc.....), and the power supply.

- "optionnal" chips to convert digital outputs I²S (1*2 channels), SPDIF (1 to  4*2 channels) to analog symetrical audios channels.

- Connectors for analog symetrical audio ouputs

Like that every body can choose 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 analog symetrical outputs with only one PCB !

I have to precise that many parts on the PCB will be in SMD ...

I have also to precise that you have to make minor modification and/or connections on your SBLive! depending on his type ( Value, live full , etc ...)

I plan also to create external box with XRL connections (symetrical signals) and RCA or Jack for "converted" asymetrical signals ... and the possibility to include the daughter DAC board directly in the box with an external power supply and simple connection to the SBLIVE!

more infos soon .....

PS: my SID 1.5 step C is in his last phase !!! hope it'll sound  in a few !

REPS : i give .sch & .brd for the DAC "SBLIVE!" daughter board for everyone who wants it ! Ask by private message

wow gilles!!! :D that all sounds very nice indeed...

I also thought that an external breakout box with xlr's/phono's would make perfect sense :) How's about making the adapted analog i/o's balanced connections? I've seen this chip from TI - DRV134PA. It is a balanced line driver IC, more info: http://www-s.ti.com/sc/ds/drv134.pdf

Fantastic work!!

Best

Dan

i well know this chip ! i used it for littles professional mixers i created !

DRV134 and his brother INA134 ! ;)

A little tip : i prefer used it for "balancing" and "unbalacing" than the  SSM214X series from analog devices.....

But for working on gain or on frequencies responses , i prefer the SSM214X series, it's sounds better and i measured less hum+noise and a lower THD+N than the 134 Series....

So "Balancing" and "unbalacing" with INA/DRV134

and (little) Gain modification with SSM214X series series....

BTW, i have to collect many infos to know how i'll design the card ....

May Thorsten can create a new Ucapps Forum directory ?

But i know you have to deal with numbers of files here...

So i can create a little forum to discuss about this daughter cards .....

did i send you the .txt files ?

all the connections are explained in it ......

the .lbr files is a library for Eagle which i modified to create the PCM1804 chip (package, pins ...)

You have to put it in you LBR directory in Eagle .

Still wotking on the 8 channels ADC board ......

But i go on holiday tomorrow for 7 days .....

See you when i'm back .....  8)

Hey Pilo...

Just wanna try and clear a few things up - all these sblive advances u and Gilles are making - it's hard to keep up!! :P

So, am I right in thinking as well as the 8 channel DAC for the additional 8 analog outputs, there also upto 8 analog inputs too? Can these 8 chans of analog i/o be routed thru 2 Alesis AL1401 chips for encoding to ADAT format. Or is there enough digital i/o to use that for the adat side from the get go?

Cheers

Dan

PS: Have a nice hols Gilles!!

about ADAT ;D I have to try to get those ADAT chip, the AL1401 and the AL1402. On the SBLive there is 4 I2S input left (there's also 1 I2S input used by a AC97 codec, and 2 SPDIF input). SO yes this 4 I2S input can be routed thru a ADAT decoder, and you will have a ADAT input :). There are also 2 I2S output, one used by AC97codec, and 4 SPDIF output.  the 4 SPDIF output can be converted to I2S, so it can be routed thru a ADAT encoder chip and you have a ADAT output ;D

By now we are working (Gilles, SmashTV and me) on the 8 inputs ADC board, which as 8 balenced analog input, and 4 I2S out put. This board can be plugged directly on the sblive, or can be used with a ADAT encoder. SmashTV told me that we can used CAT5 cable for the ADAT, instead of the classic optic fiber, because optic fiber driver are hard to find and expensive.

If you have more questions I will be happy to answer ;)