Cheap SBlive ADC for 4 inputs!

uclaros

So, i take it i2s (whoops, was I calling it i2c before? :) ) doesn't have any nasty cable length restrictions?

I suppose i2s would be the easiest, otherwise incoming audio would have to be first run through a DAC and then converted to ADAT or SPDIF and then re-converted to i2s again for the emu10k1... Icky.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes I2S output are better wy because most of the DAC and ADC works with I2S :)

the ADAT solution is not very expensive : ADAT encoder (4 I2S to 1 ADAT) chip $5, the decoder (1 ADAT to 4 I2S) chip $7... rj45 cable + driver I don't know exactly, or Toslink connector and lightpipe.

I think SPDIF can work well with length... I2S... humm

Gilles do you know a chip that convert SPDIF to I2S? I'm going to look for it.

FOr Da5id : luckily, I2S is used by ADAT chip, SPDIF chip, ADC and DAC. That's why it's an interesting protocol becase we can convert it to what we want :) (and vice versa)

Oh Gilles, do you know exactly how ADAT s/mux works? and do you have any info on the ADAT protocol?

Thank you guys ;)

OK, before part of the database got munched, I posted asking what toner transfer method you were using. You replied, saying you used the backing from "tacky-back plastic".

So, could you be more specific? is this computer label paper? Adhesive-backed vynil? Any detail would be appreciated!

Thanks!

So, could you be more specific? is this computer label paper? Adhesive-backed vynil?

It comes in a roll, and is normally used to cover artwork and such - u get it from the stationers...

Yes, u can also use the avery labels mentioned on another thred. Go to the printer paper section of ur local office supplies (or such) shop...

Best

Dan

for the PCB... I think we have to design it again, because we didn't pay attention to the noise issues... Dan, Gilles, Smash and me have to chatter to see what is the best way... But I think maybe one PCB per ADC will be easy to make... 24bits ADC PCB are very very hard to make, we have to care about a lot of stuff to deal with the datasheet specs (ie to use 24bits for sound, and not 16 for noise and 8 for sound :)).

We have also to design a balanced input driver... But it will not take a lot of time.

And every people interest in help me for the website is WELCOME! school takes me a lot of time, and so I can't spend to much time on that...

By the way, we will also make a AES/SPDIF input/output board and the ADAT thing soon :)

hi

this is really hot !!

which of the inputs are used for the 4 stereo adc´s?

the kx prolog gives:

AC 97          l/r    -  the normal analog in

cd spdif        l/r   -  the int. cd spdif in

i2s/spdif       l/r   -??

coax/optical  l/r   - on my hoontech sblive add on

line2/mic2     l/r   -??

unknown2     l/r  -??

aux2             l/r   -??

im using two sblive 4.1 as a/d and plugged them in cd spdif and the hoontech add on card spdif in.

this way i can record 6 mono tracks a time.

would your board make it possible to get all 8-?? ins ??

to get all 14  ;D ;D ??

hallucinogen

mmmm I'm working on the ADAT input/output right now :)

I'm going to look at the ADC board later in the afternood too.

For the inputs : yes with 4 ADC you will have 14 inputs :)

1 AC97 input, 4 I2S input (don't remember the name in KX mixer) <- this is where we need ADCs, and 2 SPDIF

hello everyone, I've got  the first .brd file from pilo and I have been trying to modify it for balanced operation.I have ordered parts frome Texas Instruments:

Balanced Line Receiver:         INA134PA

Analog- Digital Conversion:    PCM1804DB

Digital -Analog Conversion:    PCM1737E

Balanced Line Driver:             DRV134PA

if you all are using different parts please let me know.

When you guys decide on what parts you will use please let me know so I can order the same parts you do, so correspondence of development will be easier.

and also if you guys get new schematics will you let me know or pass them on to me through email?thanx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...