Advanced Midi Routing Question

dcer10

Hi All,

Ive finally got my new studio set up (thats why Ive been missing in action for ages!!), but now I have a few midi routing issued I need sorted out that are holding me up.

A bit of brief history... I used to use old macs for midi routing via an opcode studio 4 (or two) and OMS using studio patches... You might laugh, but to my horror it seems to be the only real solution for midi routing...

I have just set up the following rig

PC running windows XP with various applications (mainly using cubase SX 3 for recording midi data and audio)

Midisport 8x8/s midi interface

Midisport 2x2 midi interface

Midisport Keystation

Presonus FP10 audio/midi interface

Roland MC-808

Midibox SID V1 4sids

Midibox SID V2 8sids

Midibox Sequencer V3 with 4 IIC outputs (only 1 input)

Midibox delay

Korg MS-2000R

Roland TR909

Roland TR606

Kurzweil K2000RS VX

Kurzweil K2661

Novation Drumstation rack

Yamaha TX81Z

EMU Proteus 2000

Kenton Control Freak Studio Edition

(other gear but not important for the midi routing issue)

What i aim to do is to be able to have inputs come from every instrument into cubase to record cc changes, program changes etc... (working)

I also want to be able to have the 4 IIC outputs from the Midibox sequencer going into the PC, and (most importantly) to be able to send them off to route notes/cc's from the sequencer into multiple channels of any instrument in the setup (and record it, and play it back).With cubase (all midi software on the PC) when you select a track (tracks) for recording it seems that all the notes from the sequencer are hard wired to that channel (or port) only. The problem is that I cant find any sort of midi routing software which will allow me to multi track record midi from multiple ports to multiple ports at the same time.

With OMS on the old mac you could use studio patches (the program) to assign any kind of midi routing you like (any channel any port to any channel any port in any combination at the same time) and then in logic or simiar you could have the whole thing record into it via the IAC bus (which then could be split out into respective channels for editing easily). On the PC there seems to be no equal to this. I know on OSX you can use the midi patchbay to do similar things, but still not as detailed, and I dont want to be stuck using a hackintosh for my studio if I dont want to.

Does anyone have either a suggestion of a program on windows that will do the same routing complexity, or could suggest another way (other than limiting the whole rig to 16 channels for ease of routing) to get around the aparent lack of routing on windows XP? I have seen the various midi yoke type programs but im not convinced they are going to do what I need...

TK, would your midi router be something that could help here? Id build it to integrate if it might solve some of these problems :)

Any advice??

Thanks!!

John

Well logic has the environment which is great for this stuff. I know sonar has (had when i used it) an option to either send all incoming midi to the recording track, or only the midi port/channel which was assigned to the track... Maybe there's a similar option in cubase? Cubase has never had much of a midi focus, but I would imagine it has to be capable of multitrack midi recording... Somehow :/