Is this possible to do to a MB6582? Extra controls, FX, Signal routing etc...

SubContractor

Hi All

Ive got the MB6582 kit ordered, along with some extra bits. Ive got a spring reverb tank from an old Kawai organ I want to use, along with an SSM board. I also plan on putting in a distortion stage, drum triggers etc.

Ive made a quick plan (attached) of how I see it working. I know Im going to have to battle with programming, but first wanted to know if this is indeed possible?

Thanks a lot

Andrew

4010_Drawing1_pngec8db5a865ef49a591fe46f

4010_Drawing1_pngec8db5a865ef49a591fe46f

I'm not sure how construction skills go etc, but my advice would be to make it (The basic Wilbabeast) first, then play around with it to see what works in terms of signal routing , FX etc.. Well, thats what I'm presently doing.

As for spring reverb, are you sure? how big is the spring tank (Bigger equals lusher, smaller equals klangy)... My impressions of playing with the SID is that a spring reverb might not be it's best partner, but each to their own, and I'd love to hear the result.

If you used the reverb tank as some sort of feedback loop with the sid, that might be getting pretty interesting.. tuned feedback.

Regards

Mike

Yeah, Ill be building it (flat out) either way. The reverb (about 9" x 2" x 1" high)may not be full "HiFi" quality, but should it'll sound nice - Ive never heard digital reverb I liked.... Must be the dub in me... Anyway, once I get it sorted out, Ill probably get a new one (maybe double up) - they are quite cheap. As for my construction skills - better than my nunchuck skills, but not as good as my bo staff skills - FYI, Im a qualified tech with all the toys (anyone need BGA chips done??) so construction will be a brease as I can monitor waveforms for calibrating the fx etc.

I guess what Im asking is "is the platform capable of handling the extra stuff" both in terms of hardware and software limitations.

Regards

Andrew

I think that only TK or maybe Wilba could really answer this categorically, but I'll take a shot at it: No chance.

The MB-SID has pretty much been tweaked to the max as a synth, I don't think that such extra load as what you have outlined is really part of the design. A few things are intended, such as driving AOUT modules and using DOUTs as gates and such, but theyre linked into the synthesis functions (for obvious reasons) so I think that for the routing/mixing side of things, you should really use a dedicated core.

Essentially, the green stuff is one box, the yellow is another.

I stand ready to be corrected by TK on this one ;)

i don't think this is impossible, depending on what level of control you want on the mixer/fx, but you may have some missed a few things.  each core in the mb6582 will need an aout and a filter unless you only want it on one pair of sids.  there are actually 8 feedback channels in a fully stuffed mb6582.  and mixing and feedback are essentially the same function...

my idea is to use the "extra" cv outs for a mix out + feedback on just the sids, mixing of fx etc can be done externally.  i think there is some discussion of this in the "sidlive" thread...

The idea was to have the 1 SSM board and have it used per patch to different SID channels, along with the other FX, so some pretty simple DOUT stuff I would have thought. The 4 spare AOUTNG channels would be routed to control the level of drive to the reverb, distortion level, etc from an LFO, envelope or plain old knob

Main reason for wanting it all routable, apart from using external inputs with the FX and setting up FX chains, is cause Ill be using different chips. I'll have it stuffed with:

1 x 6581

1 x 8580

4 x 6582