live api - anybody successful with it?

ultra

I mean when you are using live for djing you always have to draw the track you want to play with the mouse into audio-track1 or 2 and so on. I think in Traktor this was working with midi too ( its been a while since i used traktor).

So it would be cool if you could choose your tracks, and in which "deck" you want to have it per controller.

Just discovered this thread....awesome!

I've played around with Ableton a little bit and really like it. I like the idea of Ableton controlling the midiboxes I'm building. The little time I spent messing around with Ableton really hooked me. Finding the money to purchase the software, well that's another story. But, eventually I will...

Question - I understand how you can interface with Ableton using a PC or Mac keyboard - I tried it with pre-recorded loops that came with my Sony Acid software. But would there be an advantage/disadvantage to building a midibox64 to control Ableton, which in turn controls the various midiboxes (MB-6582, MidiboxFM, etc...). Or is this just a matter of taste? Seems to me using the Midibox64, would be more intuitive and easier to work with than manipulating Ableton via the PC/MAC keyboard interface. Especially since I can customize the MB64 to my taste. Seems like I'm answering my own question here! Maybe I should be asking - how does the MB64 play into this project or is it just independent of this project? Are there any considerations when using Ultra's project in conjuction with MB64 controlling Ableton?

I'm still on a steep learning curve with electronic music, transitioning from just listening to actually making the midibox synths and learning how to manipulate the sounds. So, I'm trying to work out my plan for building midiboxes. An MB64 may be in my future. And I'm VERY interested in this project, Ultra! Thanks for your work on it!

you basically have to write your own midibox app for this.  i provide functions you can use.  the midibox64 is it's own application so it won't have anything to do with this.

also, i haven't added in the functionality to use pots yet.  every value sent to live is relative to prevent parameter jumping, so i left out potentiometer/ain functionality.  i suppose i should add it at some point, but the first version is generally to fit my purposes ;).

if you take out the detent thing in your encoders, they feel more like a pot and this works really nice with live because then no parameters jump.

Thanks, Ultra. I can see that this will be one midibox project that will not tackle for awhile. But, I'm going to keep an eye on this. I suppose I'll build a MB-6582 and the MBFM and perhaps a MBSeq first. By that time, I think I will have enough experience under my belt to build a customized version of the MidiBox Ultra. But, dang I can't wait! This is really cool.

• 1 month later...

well it's official.  the ethernet module has shown up on ucapps, and i'll be using it for liveapi instead of the way i've been doing it.  i never got over the feeling that this is "hacked" and would be using too much midi for it to work properly.  with ethernet, i'm pretty sure i can use whatever data i want with no worries.  liveapi has the option to connect via telnet and this seems to be the right way.  i can transmit any data i want without worries about what protocol it fits into.

so this unfortunately means that midibox live will be using core32 only.  and i won't be going back to the pic based core to make something work on there.  core32 just makes it too easy, and i personally don't have plans on using liveapi for anything i'd make with the pic based core.

also, this will give the opportunity for OSC communication with max for live.  i'm not sure where that will take me and it's not a high priority right now.  using midibox to communicate directly and properly without the need for another control layer like mfl is my goal.

this still doesn't get around the problem of ableton updates breaking my code.  however, i think i'll start with the newest version of 7 and go from there.  when 8 comes out, i'll see what changes need to be made and i can release updates from there.

Ethernet OSC communication for Patching translators (to Live or not) will be a near future develop work in controller developers...

Look at Arduino comunity, monome, stribe, Lemurs and so on... (I love midi and I need it but the future is being clear... seems like USB 3 will be arrive later)

Stanton with Firewire is a "similar" approarch...

The corps are developing closed protocols for leaving midi to give their controllers more resolution and high speed response.

Midi without translators is cool too and it seems out there are people working on doing HIDs Firmware to becoming native Midi plug&play units... but if anybody needs maxmsp (or pd) patches midi is still afordable too :)

Core stm32 could work with Ethernet? and Firewire?

Sorry about the noob question but I'm noob to stm32 and I'm not sure about its expandability...

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

i've just started working on it for mios32.  well actually i've been working on it for a while, but i've been hung up with how to communicate with live.  for now (and maybe permanently), i'm going with sysex, and midi made to look like sysex, since live will send but not receive sysex.

if you need some tips on where to go, just ask questions here.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...