Build problems

marvin_gain

Just spent some time searching the forum, but have a few questions I'd still like to ask. 

my plan is to eventually have a stereo 6581 with basic control surface+filters.  First step for me has been to assemble the basic core/sid/led/simple surface combo.  I got some 6581 chips, some smashtv kits and some mouser LCD, button and encoder stuff.

my first problem:  Using the C64 power supply I was unable to get the core to work.  The 5v from the C64 wasn't enough juice to get the core/lcd to work.  I plugged in a 9v wall wort and the core worked fine.  Is this because I used to wrong regulator or something? 

even with this issue i pushed on with two power supplies plugged in my surge protector.  I Uploaded the code and connected my sid (after testing voltages). 

Thats when I came up against the next problem: I connected the sid to the core as shown and when I power it on I can hear the blaring noise floor of the chip but can't get it to make a sound with my MIDI keyboard.  The LCD displays the program fine, but no sound.  I'm waiting to get my PC back from my girlfriend so I can upload the test tone program and see if that works (I'm writing on a mac that I couldn't get java/midi friendly).

Ok, so if that's not enough, I'm afraid to say that my control surface also didn't work.  I got a DIN board from smash and connected my buttons and encoder, but no go.  Am I missing something?  Is there a software script I need to upload or edit to get these to work? 

The encoder I got has five pins http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/TW-700201.pdf.  I should have read a little more before I ordered it.  I know I got the ground right, but does it matter what other pins I use?  I just picked two and went with it....

please don't fry me, I know I asked a ton of questions and I'm sure my search abilities missed some answers on the forum and the wiki, but I did my best.  Any troubleshooting tactics would be great.  I'll try and borrow a camera for some pics.

henry

my first problem:  Using the C64 power supply I was unable to get the core to work.  The 5v from the C64 wasn't enough juice to get the core/lcd to work.  I plugged in a 9v wall wort and the core worked fine.  Is this because I used to wrong regulator or something? 

the 5v from the c64 psu is already regulated, so you don't stuff the 5v reg on the core...

...  Is there a software script I need to upload or edit to get these to work?  ...

nope, just uploading the correct sw will do.

you may need to edit the setup file for your configuration, if it isn't standard, and recompile...

The encoder I got has five pins http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/TW-700201.pdf.  I should have read a little more before I ordered it.  I know I got the ground right, but does it matter what other pins I use?  I just picked two and went with it....

that is definitely the wrong encoder

Voltage regulators typically need a few more volts than their rating to work.. so the cores 5v regulator needs to be fed with approx 8 volts dc to turn that into 5v..

As you are feeding it 5v, it's not gonna do it's job properly.. luckily, the fix is pretty easy for you..

I'm not sure of the exact details, (A search will help here) but it probably involves you removing the regulator off the core, and feeding the (Already regulated) 5v onto a jumper on the core..

good luck..

Regards

Mike

• 3 months later...

okay okay i have some time off school to try and finish my sad sidbox.  It's been crying to me from the corner of my room, hidden away in a ups box like a run over rabbit waiting to die.  NO i say...i shall resurrect it.

Right now I'm forgetting about the control surface and just trying to get the core/sid working at all...

The power for the core is working fine, but the sid power is having some issues.  I've been using the modified c64 supply, but i think i wired something wrong because its not feeding the right voltage to the sid.  I tried running 14 volts DC from my bench supply into the sid and I hear noise and clicks when I play, but no sound.  When I tested the pins, it read that each chip was only getting 1 volt! What does that mean?  Did i stuff parts I didn't have to when I built it or did i just muck something up?

and to think, I wanted to go to school for engineering.  Sorry to disappoint  you dear ol' dad.

here's some terrible pics i took by holding up my macbook:

edit: further testing shows that both my C64 power supplies are not putting out the right voltages...but that doesn't explain my other issues.

Photo13.jpg

Photo17.jpg

Photo16.jpg

Is there any specific reason for you to mirror the pics?

Take all the ICs out. Don't even think about stuffing them again until you have the correct voltages everywhere. Disconnect the pcbs from each other (this is why you shouldn't solder cables directly to the headers).

What voltage are you feeding the SID pcb atm? AC/DC? Voltage?

The "Photobooth" application takes mirrored pics by default AFAIK.

First:  make sure you used the 7812 regulator, not the 7809.

If you remove the power, take out all the ICs, and then reapply power and test the voltages at the ICs, what do you get?