Rumour mill was Re: n00b Alert!

stryd_one

i realise your mentioning this as your role as a moderator and that is cool :)

but do some research, he is well known in sdiy communities

i didnt sign up just to de-fame people

if you research me im an active sdiy community member trying my best to help kids, not take down an industry. politics is for schmucks

here is a transcribed letter from the guy chipforbrains (awesome seller who is now known as technology transplant) regarding HKSS (partspipe, hongkongsuperseller)

http://www.nabble.com/RE:bad-trader-hongkongsuperseller-td4485956.html

im not going to go on about this any more, but buyer beware for lots of ebay stores for rare ICs

do some research before buying, usually if they are they are about to scam you, they have scammed poeple before and there will be people venting somewhere and a google search on the part and on the seller should bring it up

here is a transcribed letter from the guy chipforbrains (awesome seller who is now known as technology transplant) regarding HKSS (partspipe, hongkongsuperseller)

http://www.nabble.com/RE:bad-trader-hongkongsuperseller-td4485956.html

LOL! What do you think he would say about his direct competitor? "Gee, he's a swell guy who sells similar products to me, but much cheaper.. we hang out heaps and have cups of tea together on tuesday."

funny.

ok, guys, luka is allright.

let's avoid another dogpile, please.

and luka, best not to spread 2nd and 3rd hand experiences,

if you've personally had something go wrong, that's a bit different.

i've had good deals with hkss, sounds like you have too.

this has been a touchy subject here before...

i realise your mentioning this as your role as a moderator and that is cool :)

My role as a moderator is to be a janitor.

I'm saying that in my role as not being a selfish asshole talking shit about some guy's livelihood with no proof in an inappropriate place.

but do some research, he is well known in sdiy communities

Yes, SDIY communities do talk a lot of shit about the guy. This has been done here before, search the forum. Short version is, There's no proof of anything, there's strong indication that a small selection of his transistors are cactus, and that's mentioned in the ebay feedback forum, where it belongs (ie, NOT here.)

i didnt sign up just to de-fame people

I didn't say you did, but that is what you're doing.

if you research me im an active sdiy community member

So is HKSS.

here is a transcribed letter from the guy chipforbrains

Yeh, seen that before... A letter from his competition.... How surprising that they talk shit about him and show no proof.

buyer beware

Always.

do some research before buying, usually if they are they are about to scam you, they have scammed poeple before and there will be people venting somewhere and a google search on the part and on the seller should bring it up

But don't be a rumour spreading fool and just believe everything you read like most of the sdiy community has with hkss.

If you've got proof, post it on your blog. If you don't STFU.

if i have broken a community guideline, please point me in those the direction of those set out on this forum and ill read through and re-adjust.

No dude not at all! That's not what I'm trying to say... I'm just a guy who saw you doing something ill and got in your face about it. It's tooootally unofficial, as is anything I say around here. Seriously, the green stars are only there for janitorial purposes, no more than that. I just move posts for ppl, and delete spam, etc. Only TK is the boss. (Twin-X is really the admin, and SmashTV is a real moderator, though. Don't argue with them ;) )

sorry to upset :S

i was just trying to help out

I know you are! That's the harsh thing about this...

See, everyone who's been in DIY audio for a while, has heard the rumour of this big bad evil triad mafioso slave driver, flogging fake chips to unsuspecting n00bs, and probably crack out the front of his local kindergarten. He's eeeeviiilll.

In the community spirit that we have, we all look out for each other, which is rad. For real. That' a *rare* gem in our time. So what happens is, you get this culture, where every time safety online or finding a good shop, or dodgy parts, or anything even vaguely related is under discussion, someone pipes up with a warning about hkss.

But that's where the problem arises.... Because to the best of my knowledge (and yes, I looked fuckin hard. I don't mouth off like this unless I know I'm well informed) he's actually never ever done anything wrong. It is highly probable that he's sold a few dodgy transistors. I say 'highly probable' because I have actually seen pics of the trannies compared with old stock and it was totally a fake. I don't say 'definite' because I haven't actually seen anything to prove the certainly-fake trannies came from hkss.

And there's the crux of it - Proof. If you search for stuff about him, it's not hard to find rumour, 2nd, 3rd and nth-hand warnings, fiery sdiy threads, "I heard from this guy", etc. Well and good, but try and find something substantial, something that would actually hold water in an argument.... There's F*** all!

What's more, I know from personal experience (postal damage) that he will refund or replace anything that's not up to scratch. Plus, there's buyer protection and all kinds of stuff, to ensure that you can't get ripped off. Not to mention that the trannies are flagged in his feedback, so if you fall for that one, you're a dope.

What's more, it's completely illogical to suggest that he's doing this on purpose - think about it, why would you sell heaps of legit parts (and we know he does, there are lots of reports on these forums alone) and then sell counterfeits of a cheap part that will make you next-to-no profit? It doesn't make sense. My guess is that's because it's bullshit. He was ripped off too, by his supplier. If you've dealt with these suppliers, you know that refunds are often not part of the deal. I'm guessing that's why he still has them listed (grrr). But yeh, it's in his feedback.

I said in the other thread... What people are doing to HKSS when they hand out these warnings, is disrespecting him and attempting to reduce his sales. That's the equivalent of walking up to him, punching him in the face, and stealing his wallet. Now, I would imagine that you probably wouldn't do that to someone in real life, unless they *really* had it coming...

...But you've been distracted from that moral standard by your other moral standard of looking out for your fellow men in the DIY community.

So now, we have this culture where an innocent man who helps us all with cheap parts, is abused for no apparent reason, on a regular basis... and it all happens because people try to help. Irony to the max. Even if HKSS is eventually proven to be the type of thing which his competitor claims him to be, it's still not cool to fuel the rumour mill like that. Imagine that was happening to smashtv or gustav or pcb-mike or any of our mates... We'd be fuckin ropable! We'd be trying to crush the rumour... But because noone knows hkss personally, it seems he's not afforded the same protection, and I think that's uncool.

Now I always say, if you've got proof, please bring it - because I share that community spirit of looking out for others. But HKSS is a member of this community too, and we should look out for him the same way we would look after anyone else. If he's done the wrong thing, I'll punch him out while you steal his wallet (get his watch man, get his shoes).... But until then I think it's time the guy got a break.

Regardless of his guilt or innocence, I think the DIY community needs to act like the group of intelligent engineers that we are, and see the failure in the 'rumour mill' model of thought, and act responsibly and respectfully towards others - ALL others. Even if you don't like them. Today it's HKSS, tomorrow it could be smash or wilba or gustav or any of our mates.

Stryd_One said:

"community needs to act like the group of intelligent engineers that we are,"

Hey Stryd, apparently you're new around here. ;-)

Come join us in chat and see how long you can continue to support that assertion that we are "intelligent".

Just funnin'

LyleHaze

LMAO

I think we talked for about a half an hour about influenza and mucus production last night  :D

Actually it led to discussion about the inner ear, and I was coding in the background.... so I guess there was some veiled intellect there. Heavily veiled. With lead. 3 inches thick.

assert(stryd.intelligent);

SIGSEGV

IS there a buld being organised for roumers, will Smash be stocking them in his store?

I'm wondering if we could get them custom milled in China somewhere and mailed out, alternatively, would DW be willing to put his machine shop into use and mill us some roumers.