Yeah baby!

noofny

I took some of my midibox for a spin tonight - hooked up 64 pots to one of the cores, configured it and opened up Ableton Live and went for a spin. Oh yeah!

Might I say a huge THANKS to TK and all those involved in making this thing alive and keeping it available - looks like the dream of being able to make a decent controller is closer than I thought and more fun than I thought once you get stuff working!

ROCK...ON.

8)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Yeah I've had a couple of peeps from here read the blog, which is one of those nice things that keeps you motivated to make it a good doco. Getting people to read a blog is not easy, but it makes a difference when you see it helps someone!

I should be getting the top face plate in the next week so will post pics then too.

Once done I'll put up on the wiki.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that, I probably wouldn't be so predictable:

This is were s1 will ask you to pretty please put the pic over here, so they don't get lost as offsite doco has a tendency to </broken-record>

;D

LOL.

If you search the forum you'll find me telling you how to scale the images....

When I opened your blog to check the details it freezes my browser. After second attempt I succeeded and find out the problem.

A few meters long scroll with tiny scroll bar. And as I could guess, pictures are 2592px × 1944px (scaled to 234px × 156px)  ???

Man, this is so NOT the way to do it! It is not advisable on few posts per page, but it should never be the case on such a long pages as yours.

Probable the first and most important thing you need to learn before you start blogging is how to resize and optimize the images! If you really like somebody read your blog. I`d like to read it but I wan`t go to that place again.

EDIT: I started to download you page and after 150MB I quit. It must be the heaviest webpage in the history of human kind  :o

I pronounce you as a blogger of the century, and I say too... Yeah Baby!  :D  :D :D

When I opened your blog to check the details it freezes my browser. After second attempt I succeeded and find out the problem.

I had the same problem yesterday in fact. Firefox used up 600 megs of memory by the time i killed it... ;)

If you can't be bothered to resize images yourself perhaps consider something like flickr (what I'm using), hotlinking is allowed and their webapp will handle resizing (to multiple sizes) for you. And there are a ton of uploader tools to handle uploading instead of using a browser.

I always wondered what caps goes with those buttons. Does that dot has something with cap or it is just marker for button orientation?

Ditto on the wondering... I have some of those, and in the catalog of the store I bought them from there is a variation with a little pin on top that has associated caps, but haven't seen no naps for the flat ones... Can you enlighten us noofy?

Yeah sorry guys - I should have to go stand in the corner and think about what I've done! (nice to know I've gone down in the history books for something at least)  :-[  I just never got around to scaling the images and didn't have anyone reading it and complaining enough so I let it slide...so thanks all for the feedback!

For the blog; go check it out again now I've just replaced all the photos with a re-scaled set and uploaded them and it now seems to load ok in Chrome and IE. If anyone wants a poster-size blow up of any photo let me know I'll send it over, those should do ok for now.

For the buttons; basically I never found any nice caps that suited these and decided to make my own. I'm gluing a 15mm pearl perspex cube with a hole drilled in and an RGB LED stuffed in each one. It going to look really nice and isn't too much work - and very cheap. I had the perspex cubes laser cut by a place nearby in Sydney and it works out to be around $1.80 AUD for each button including the actual tactile button, perspex cube and LED (not including labor of course). Now that the blog is usable you can see pics there. (http://noofny.blogspot.com/2008/11/selecting-components-switches-leds.html)

Again cheers for the advice and keep the feedback coming.

For the blog; go check it out again now I've just replaced all the photos with a re-scaled set and uploaded them and it now seems to load ok in Chrome and IE. If anyone wants a poster-size blow up of any photo let me know I'll send it over, those should do ok for now.

Yay! :)

For the buttons; basically I never found any nice caps that suited these and decided to make my own. I'm gluing a 15mm pearl perspex cube with a hole drilled in and an RGB LED stuffed in each one. It going to look really nice and isn't too much work - and very cheap.

I've been thinking about making my own caps too... I want them to be just right and probably sqare for my project. Any documentation on how yours will work? How do you fix them to the switch? More pics! ;)

Sorry no doco at present - when I get to that part I'll have details on it (prob in couple of weeks). Basically I use acrylic glue to glue the perspex cube to the top of the button - as they are both plastic the glue holds them like cement (seriously I tried one out and you have to break the button to break the cube off it). 

Pics too big for my FF browser, it crash when i leave your blog page.

Get a free Flickr account asap.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/midibox/pool/

If there's a password on that group it'd be nice if you could pass it to TK/Twin-X/SmashTV ;)

Better to post the doco (pics are doco too!) onsite, and either resize it first or tag the image to resize them

[img=http://www.midibox.org/forum/Themes/Midibox/images/smflogo.gif]
smflogo.gif
[img width = 300]http://www.midibox.org/forum/Themes/Midibox/images/smflogo.gif[/img]

[img width=300]http://www.midibox.org/forum/Themes/Midibox/images/smflogo.gif

Stryd, starter of the group administers it, so any info can be edited only by disgustingpie.

Yeh, that's the password I was referring to then....

Just my own opinion, I always give passwords to midibox named stuff, to the admins. You never know what will happen in the future, better to leave the account details with the person who 'owns' the account's name...

Back on topic - I've updated the blog - the project is pretty much now complete with a couple bits pending which will only take a few more weeks.

Playing with the new deck tonight and have to say - am very impressed with the work put into the hardware/software platform and loving every moment of playing with the new toy (even if she's missing her front plate)!

Rock on!

8)