Questions re. MIDI control of a custom built analog synth

analogfreak

Dear MIDI gurus,

I have built an all voltage controlled analog synth (DIY, non commercial). Requirements:

- need to feed 24 control voltages -5V - +5V and 16 logic levels inputs (1 - 3 bits each)

- all shall be controlled from rot. encoders (with LEDs) and buttons, no PC involved

- patches to be stored/retrieved locally

- option, to retrieve, edit, store patches from a PC

I have peeked in this forum here and there. Questions:

- Who has built something similar using MIDIbox parts, so I could learn from that project?

- How many core modules to have? 1? 2? (1 to give the synth a MIDI interface, 1 to do the user interface?)

- Which controller events shall I use? When to use these NRPN ones over the non specified "ordinary" controllers?

- I seem to need AOUT or AOUT_NG modules. Who sells complete kits in EU? (Getting these DACs seems to be an issue and these boards seem to require prof. equipment)

Thank you for considering these questions.

Hi.

Have you looked in the wiki? The answers to most of your questions are in there but can be a bit hidden. There is a re-arrangement project in progress but it isn't a 5 minute job!

I would look in the User Projects section as there are various synth projects:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=user_projects

For parts and kits, look in:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=where_to_order_pre-made_printed_circuit_boards_pcbs_and_parts_kits

I have bought from both Mike and SmashTV. Both are really easy to deal with but with my latest boards I got them from SmashTV 'cause I like silk-screened PCB's  :) he is in the USA though so delivery costs can be a bit higher....

Cheers

Phil