problems with mios upload

iorobyy

HI!

I'm a synth diyer but i'm completely newbieidibox and digital applications in general

I'm building the midibox sid v1 surface c (i've buoght the kis from mikes site some time ago-before sid issue v2) i use the 18---452 pic.

The core is mounted and completed,  have 2x20 lcd connected and working (is lighted and a black bar is showed as per walktrought instructions).

I've tested voltages , parts , midi connections , traces etc. ....all seem ok...i hope!

I open miosstudio, i connect midi cables (it seem correcly) in the midi in monitor the core module  is sending the upload request every 2 or 3 seconds.

I load the " setup_6581" hex file in mios upload window, i press start button and put supply in the core.

When first upload request is sent the upload transimission start without problems.

The transfer is ok for 5-6- seconds then start some error messages ("error 5")

and trasmission is stopped from miosstudio.

I restart core (off-on supply) but nothing is changed, the module send upload request and

lcd show the black bar.

Please help me!!!---thank you! :)

Rob

p.s. Maybe i need to connect also sid module and din - dout before to upload mios...possible?

Welcome aboard man. I noticed you posted in ithe italiano forum also - crossposting is always a good idea for multi-lingual support, but it's a good idea to post a link to the other thread in each of your threads, so they are cross referenced.

Speaking of good ideas, it would be helpful if you could paste (not type) the logs from mios studio.

It's probably best if you do not connect any other modules if you are having problems, that makes it easier to isolate the cause of the problem.

I should direct you to the 'troubleshoot!' link in my signature ;)

:o  thank you for the answer but i'm very newbie in mios (i hate digital!  ;) ) what do you means with "uploaded MIOS first"? ???

Please speak to me in simply robot language  :), what's the name of the file i must to upload before to send "setup_6581"?

i'm using  the midibox_sid_v1_7303d.rar package

what do you means with "uploaded MIOS first"? ???

Just like your computer, the core needs an Operating System installed, so that you can run applications. For the MIDIbox core, that's MIOS.

Please speak to me in simply robot language  :),

OK :)

http://wiki.midibox.org/

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?action=search

http://www.ucapps.de/

I'm Here again! :(  this morning my core was living , boot....welcome message..."ready" . i was happy!! :)

I've connect the sid module (tested and checked) i've opened miostudio and i've midisent the "setup_6581.hex" file.

some errors again during the transfer (errors 5) , :-[  upload is stopped.

I  reboot and now i have the welcome message but after no reactions , a blank display is showed

no live...all dead.

I've disconnected the sid module but nothing change

If i try to upload os or applications again in the lcd a corrupted message is showed ...similar ..."bootloader isongnò up to date@@#"

what i could do now?

It's possible to reset (erase all) the pic for to restart  upload procedure?...possible to have the pic resetted without operating system?

sorry i cant past the errors cause the core is like freezed i cant upload nothing :-[

However the errors are "error 5" but i dont remeber all the messages

Now i can only reboot , the welcome message is showed correctly then i see only the blank lcd , no messages , no dialog with miosstudio.

If i try to force transmission, a corrupted message is showed on lcd , something like "bootloader is on up to date "

but mixed with other random characters .

I think that pic is in overflow or similar problem, it's possible to reset o re inizialize it via software or hardare? (look! no picburner here!)

sorry i cant past the errors cause the core is like freezed i cant upload nothing :-[

That's fine, we need the errors from mios studio. You need a burner to erase the PIC completely, but normally it is not necessary - the bootloader has restrictions in it's code that prevent you from overwriting it, so it should always remain functional, and send an upload request, which will allow you to reinstall MIOS, and your app.

We'll start at the beginning - disconnect everything from your core except power and midi - no LCD, no DIN/DOUT/SID/etc

Try to upload MIOS to the core by the usual procedure, and paste the results:

Core off

mios studio

hex upload

smart mode on

wait for upload request on

select hex file

mios studio says waiting for upload request

power on core

copy text from hex upload window

paste into browser

Did you AUAIMBCTG?!

Well, the idea of removing the LCD to test, is that seeing as you see weird glitches on the LCD, maybe you've soldered it incorrectly and it's screwing up the rest of the core....

If you're not getting an upload request, I'd normally say to start with the MIDI troubleshooting on ucapps... It's hard to say now, because it was working before, which suggests a working core, but you've simply made it impossible to know, by changing too many things at one go. Maybe you've fried something through a change, maybe something failed, maybe it was a bad code upload.... Mystery. I would recommend you follow and read the link in my signature about troubleshooting, to avoid such problems in future.

Well, you say the core is frozen and you can't upload, but you mentioned error messages. That doesn't add up. If it's truly frozen, it won't do anything, and that includes returning an error. Can you please describe exactly the error messages to us? Pretend that we have no idea, because we can't see it. Give lots of detail.

Similarly, you also said something about it giving you a welcome message. If it gets that far, it should have sent an upload request, which takes me back to the beginning of my message - do the MIDI Troubleshooting on ucapps.

And remember to do one thing at once. If you think, that your PSU gives too low voltage, check it, change, but don't do anything else. If you're sure, that your PSu works good, check something else. Cause if you're trying to fix 2 things at once, you can fix a thing but screw another one:) Maybe you should write on your local forum to find someone with uC programmer? You know, I had problems with my core module too. I'm a rather nervous one, so I built another core module (that worked flawless) and then began to debug my old one. I've found a cold joint that caused all my problems. Maybe you should check for bad joints? But remember - 1 thing at once!