Etching in 25 seconds

cimo

it is super activated FeCl3 ! heat heat !!

The first one is Hydrochloric acid aka muriatic acid used by housewives to clean floors and tiles, the second is Hydrogen peroxide aka H2O2 (in this case 30 vol.) used by those housewives sons to bleach their hair before going to rave parties in the '90s.

THIS STUFF IS REALLY NASTY SO PROTECT YOUR EYES, HANDS AND WEAR A GAS MASK.

Here a picture of my housemate and Sahira while i etch a board:

baby-neoch16mom.jpg

How do you put the black on the Cu ? printer ?

Tonertransfer-method or Press'n'Peel

Does that mean we can easily make PCB @home ?

You have always been able to etch your PCBs at home  :)

But this one is said to be the fastest and the most precise method

That's pretty impressive etching, but I don't think the compromises with materials safety would be adviseable for beginners. Personally, I have never found issue with etching time, but precision is always a factor. I think the main issue I have had is with transparent paper coatings remaining on the unmasked copper.

Quote from: julienvoirin on Today at 13:33

Does that mean we can easily make PCB @home ?

You have always been able to etch your PCBs at home  Smiley

But this one is said to be the fastest and the most precise method

just to quote...

Quote from: julienvoirin on Today at 13:33

How do you put the black on the Cu ? printer ?

Tonertransfer-method or Press'n'Peel

actually it is another kind of paper which isn t as good as PnP (at least with my printer) but way cheaper and easily available

I use to do this in the past... I wouldn't say it's precise : it usually cut small track every where it can. Also it's very dangerous (and use to "etch" evey metal things around :D).

I was also told this is not legal in france to etch PCB like that (I mean, in factory etc). Maybe because of health trouble you can get etc?

After all I gave up and do it the usual way :)

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just sharing "knowledge".

Pilo

I use to do this in the past... I wouldn't say it's precise : it usually cut small track every where it can. Also it's very dangerous (and use to "etch" evey metal things around :D).

I was also told this is not legal in france to etch PCB like that (I mean, in factory etc). Maybe because of health trouble you can get etc?

After all I gave up and do it the usual way :)

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just sharing "knowledge".

Pilo

Sure it cuts tracks, it cuts tracks where the metal is exposed, that s what it is supposed to do.It sounds to me that you have some problem with the toner/uv exposition. I also have some problem in the ground planes but that s due to a poor quality of the toner i use.

AND YES THIS STUFF IS VERY DANGEROUS, ALSO THE GASSES THAT RELEASES, SO BE CAREFUL, USE JUST SMALL AMOUNTS, YOU DON T REALLY NEED THAT MUCH MORE THAT COVERING UP TO THE TOP OF THE PCB.

Many countries will restrict access to this type of chemical, at least in pure form, or high concentrations. It is not really suitable for most households.

I think that the stuff you can buy at the grocery store for house cleaning is easily available and in low concentration.

Sure it cuts tracks, it cuts tracks where the metal is exposed, that s what it is supposed to do.It sounds to me that you have some problem with the toner/uv exposition. I also have some problem in the ground planes but that s due to a poor quality of the toner i use.

AND YES THIS STUFF IS VERY DANGEROUS, ALSO THE GASSES THAT RELEASES, SO BE CAREFUL, USE JUST SMALL AMOUNTS, YOU DON T REALLY NEED THAT MUCH MORE THAT COVERING UP TO THE TOP OF THE PCB.

I think that the stuff you can buy at the grocery store for house cleaning is easily available and in low concentration.

I know it's sold as something in the UK, I just don't rellish the idea of standing in the hardware store or supermarket reading all the backs of the cleaning solutions... people may get suspicious and before I know it the Special Forces will have come through the windows, bound and gagged me and put me on a plane for guatnamo bay.

I don't need overly strong stuff, just strong enough to break down some plant matter ;)

That's true, the uv stuff wasn't perfect ;) but I managed to etch "correctly" with  Ferric Chloride (as it's way more slower, it's easier to check pcb during etching. For small track it's important).

I know it's sold as something in the UK, I just don't rellish the idea of standing in the hardware store or supermarket reading all the backs of the cleaning solutions... people may get suspicious and before I know it the Special Forces will have come through the windows, bound and gagged me and put me on a plane for guatnamo bay.

I don't need overly strong stuff, just strong enough to break down some plant matter ;)

I think it s Muriatic Acid

HCl is hydrochloric acid. I know schools use it quite a bit (or at least, the one I work at does) so it should be fairly widely available in various quantities and strengths. A Google search for "chemical suppliers", "lab suppliers" or similar should yield some results.

-Dan