ModMatrix Eagle Board

m00dawg

I didn't know if anyone could potentially use this, but I wasn't able to find one already after some searching and thought I would share. I made a reasonably quick schematic and board of the Mod Matrix in Eagle for the C64-based front-panel (available off ucapps). I took some careful measurements and it should line up rather nicely with the panel template. It doesn't include the volume section because the original template doesn't. I'm trying to see if there's enough room on my C64 case to add that (while hopefully not running into the limitations of the free version of Eagle).

I figured this would be worlds easier than trying to make one out of a protoboard and it looks nicer too (since I plan on making my front panel translucent, aesthetics matter). I believe the switches SHOULD be the standard tactile switches also found in the examples. I picked the closest thing in Eagle I could find, but I'm not 100% sure (need to order more switches before I can determine this one).

Anyways hopefully someone finds this useful, but if not, it was fun to make anyway :)

modmatrix.zip

4209_brd_png8999fcb6f049b7d3bd8054eea0cb

4211_sch_png3e87fcea16fc9d196178418d675f

modmatrix.zip

4209_brd_png8999fcb6f049b7d3bd8054eea0cb

4211_sch_png3e87fcea16fc9d196178418d675f

I prefer having someone else (such as BatchPCB) print them. Costs more, yes, but I don't have to work with potentially dangerous chemicals, be subject to the shortcomings of my own fine craftsmanship skills, and it looks better :) BatchPCB doesn't charge more for multi-layer boards either so it tends to make things easy, albeit, at a cost ($30 for this board).

a quick look reveals at least one airwire.

also why not stick the sr chips on the board?

Crap, good catch :) Fixed those up (can post an update if anyone wants it).

As for the sr chips (shift registers I assume?) I thought about that, but I'm going to be using Wilba's MB-6582 board (and if not that, probably Smash's) and it seemed easier to work with those boards if I just used headers. If I was going uber custom, though, I could see that making a difference. Particularly when most of the C64 control surface has some nice gaps that could be used for this sort of thing. Something to think about though. For some reason, I really enjoy making boards in Eagle *shrug*. Meditation of sorts i guess, so you never know, maybe I'll throw that down. Heck, you could basically move much of the DIN/DOUT boards up into the control surface and just connect them all together. Hmm...

My next goal, though, is to see if I can design or find a C64 front panel that will fit the full mod-matrix (with the volume section included).

So the lack of the volume section was bothering me and I finally found some examples of how to fit the extra row on the C64 panel (thanks to Subatomic for sharing some very helpful information on this website). Here's the result. This one is even better than the first I think since it looks cleaner, though I had to end up using a few vias. I also have 3 planes (one to function as a GND for the buttons, and the other two just isolation planes). Not sure if that's a bit overboard but *shrug*.

4215_brd_png8999fcb6f049b7d3bd8054eea0cb

4217_sch_png3e87fcea16fc9d196178418d675f

4215_brd_png8999fcb6f049b7d3bd8054eea0cb

4217_sch_png3e87fcea16fc9d196178418d675f

• 2 years later...

So I lost the original schematics and noticed that they got nuked when the forum was updated too. No matter, now I have a better one :) This one included the extra button and LEDs found on the MB-6852 to switch between Meter and Matrix modes. It's a simpler design (though that means the board is larger too). Not sure if I am going to use this guy or not, but it's purpose was to be used for my Rackmount MB-6582 design that I want to put together.

Suggestions welcome! Though I was not looking for feedback as much as to just contribute work back in the event anyone could use this.

8x8-LED-Matrix.zip

post-4914-059324800 1294177120_thumb.png

Edited by m00dawg

It would figure after spending a few days on a new board design that the old one now pops up in the forums. Oh well :) All of them, I realized, were a bit off since they assumed 1 button for each data-pin. That's not what's going on with the MB-6852 (see http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=mb-6582:mb-6582_cs_din_wiring.pdf) so I have now updated the board to compensate.

The pinouts, of course, are only for the items on the board itself so it will potentially take some additional wiring (on another board) to bring all this together. I thought about leaving my original design as-is since that would allow for more options with how to use it, but since it was also lacking diodes I figured I might as well.

8x8-LED-Matrix.zip

post-4914-034482200 1294271583_thumb.png

post-4914-015390900 1294271591_thumb.png

Edited by m00dawg