TheRainbow - Midibox and RGB Led Keyboard

julienvoirin

Hello folks

here is my new midibox project : The Rainbow

For the moment it is based on BLM example v1_2, I improved it to manage RGB Leds.

It works as a midi keyboard responsive to midi messages.

It has only 3 tests functions for today. I am writing the code.

It will be a super versatile midi controller, having several layers, sequencing capabilities ( clock, arpegiattor, midi tracks, support of midi files ...) ; it has 64 buttons with leds and a 4x20 LCD display for the moment.

I will add 16 encoders and various leds and buttons to make functions and layers indicators.

It looks like a lot to the Monome : i had the idea of this controller before the monome gets out.

I needed time to develop it.

The case is to build, any good soul welcome :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

More to come, and migrate to MIOS32 soon :P

Test of 4colors_RGB_blm_example_v1_4.zip

4219_RGB_Ledconnecting_diagram_jpga6dd66

Test of 4colors_RGB_blm_example_v1_4.zip

4219_RGB_Ledconnecting_diagram_jpga6dd66

Great Achievement!
not yet !

I just found out how to make a combination of buttons (e.g : cmd+Z) !

Stay tuned, it will rock :)

It looks like a lot to the Monome : i had the idea of this controller before the monome gets out.

I needed time to develop it.

I hate when that happens! Glad it's still coming along nicely mate :D

Edit: You added a video, nice!

Edit2: Hey the LEDs are still rather bright even with the room lights on... Did you add circuitry for high current LEDs?

Did you add circuitry for high current LEDs
no :)

IMO it is bright 'cause it is 74HC595 DIP and not SOIC.

R = 220 ohms for red and R = 150 ohms for green and blue.

From my calculations I can divide these by two and get it more bright, in order to see under the sun (!).

http://cgi.ebay.fr/50-PC-5mm-8Kmcd-Manual-Control-MultiColor-RGB-LED-F-R_W0QQitemZ220337040895QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFR_JG_Moto_Tuning?hash=item220337040895&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1526%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

when that happens!

the monome is more or less a cool device :

cool 'cause it gives a keyboard to max/msp users with feedback, and it is open source !

not cool 'cause it is monocolour, small and need lots of software to work !

3016326501_87ac39c79b.jpg?v=0

http://flickr.com/photos/unsped/3016326501/in/set-72157604074202672/

Nice project! :)

In my opinion, the only real advantage the monome has over midiboxes is that Open Sound Control (OSC) is the default interface of choice. Not because it's better than MIDI but it is easier to interface emerging stuff using OSC.

Then again, I've understood TK is working on a new ARM-based core?.. I'm smelling new possibilities. ;)

Yeh, MIOS32 will have OSC.

Nice! :)

I wish I had time to help out with that, but I'm saving all the extravagant projects for retirement... ;)

(And as long as I can't shake this darn cold I'm not going anywhere with my current project either.)

Start building your new TK shrine today ;)

Nah. I don't do worship. ;)

But I do offer my gratitude and respect to all who build things that others can further build upon. :)

Have you built more than one of these puppies
i do not have a flickr account  :P

unsped did a RGB Monome based on Arduino.

julien bayle did the same with Arduino + the sparkfun kit for controlling 64 RGB Led

JMG did the Octinct with Arduino and TLC5640 if i well remember (not sure of the chip ...)

but no one is computer independant : i want an independant music machine, like my drummachine or my MPC

btw, Does anybody know how to do PWM with cheap chipset like 74HC 595, and (top!) pin compatible ?

black-cased version
mine will be crystal clear, then brushed (maybe plexiglass, or plastic). If I found $$ it will be in aluminium (but heavy).

• 2 weeks later...

*happy happy happy*

I was hoping something like this would happen someday. And there it is. I really like this kind of grid instrument/sequencer/controller.

Are you using sparkfun kits ? PCB ?

Are you planning on adding some function keys as well ? say a row of 8 on top of the grid and a column of 8 on the left ? It could be used to switch to "grid visual control" mode. Like you press function key for velocity and function key in front of the 2nd row at the same time. Then the grid display the velocity of each step of track 2 as vertical bars. You can then press buttons to choose velocity for these steps. Same with volume etc. We could use the grid for pattern selection too. 64 patterns on a page, switching pages via function button as well (I have no idea about next Core capabilities.). Could be a bit too soon but I can't help getting excited. I have this controller in mind since I got my hands on a yamaha tenori-on.

Thanks for making me happy.

this is exactly the kind of thing i'm looking to do for a "live" control surface for ableton live.  with a glcd showing clip names related to the buttons and other info.  also, osc and mios32 is the eventual plan for "midibox live", my ableton live control project.

keep up the good work, i'm headed this direction in a few months or so :).

ultra

Are you using sparkfun kits ? PCB ?

yes I do, but I would prefer a more custom PCB, with shift registers integrated. Maybe a group bulk order in next weeks

adding some function keys as well ?
yes of course. Eight keys : F1 to F8. Think to "ctrl+A" and now think there is 64 "A" keys and 8 "ctrl" keys. OK ? direct access to menu and features.

the grid display the velocity of each step of track 2 as vertical bars
Good idea. Think to : step seq, MPC seq, bounce "boing" seq. Just for the Sequencer. I also plane to make a "fader" via the buttons column mode : 8 faders.
switching pages via function button as well
it previuoud : 4 layers in MPC style (layer A, B, C, D) idetified by Leds.

with a glcd showing clip names related
character LCD, i do not know how to manage GLCD, and if all the voltages required are on the Core.
i'm looking to do for a "live" control surface for ableton live
it is already.

FrontDesign [4colors_top_v1.0.pdf

FrontDesign [4colors_top_v1.0.pdf

where's the lcd?  not enough knobs.

i read about this.  the pads are basically a clip grid, tightly integrated into live.  they light one color to show if a clip is present, and two other colors to show its state.  and of course you can control the clips by pressing them.  you can do this fairly easily with liveapi.  in fact, you could do this entire thing with midibox and liveapi, but better customized for your own purposes.

ultra

About the apc40...

I don't like the small faders (45mm) and are to close to each other, wtf! look like an old radio shack equalizer.

I like the clip matrix buttons, perfect.

I like the encoders layout, perfect.

I'll buy one asap if it is around 600$ US.

To built a nice box like that, they begin development at least 12 months ago, even more.

To built a nice box like that, they begin development at least 12 months ago.

and me ? I had the idea in 2006 ! i made the voirinov more than one year ago ("la boite à boutons" in user project). Unfortunatly it has no led under the buttons

This box is perfect, except the plastic end checks. but you can remove the 6 screws and put something more design (i guess it is made like the MPC). I've been looking the video on ableton site, the space between the buttons is perfect, better than the sparkfun ones. the square has the same size.

They have layers with arrows. I also have 16 encoders, but no led rings (but u noticed i had thought to)

As i wanted to add 8 potentiometers (as there are 8 free AIN on the core) it is the same design than mine.

And SHIFT button, I also did !! but i have ALT too. GRRRR

Faders are good quality as it will be the same as on the MPC5000 or the MPD series

I don`t understand. What`s the reason for angry? You are not competing nor developing commercial project and some industry spy stole your work. Just make your box as best as you could and enjoy it.  :)

Monome guys could say for your project the same... oh, that is actually monome. In this case Ableton Live was starting point and inspiration to you and Akai`s designers, so it is necessarily similar. Remember Monodeck II? Clip lunching with RGB LED feedback is nothing new.

It happens to any creative person so see somebody else did or doing same thing as he does and lately with all this technology available to small people, it happens more often than ever. Same thing happens to me all the time. It don`t feel good, as you feel your work isn`t that unique but that`s the way it is and you just accept it. So, forget about it and concentrate on your work, and make yourself the box the way you like it only for yourself. Nobody will have "The Rainbow", just you. Isn`t that cool enough?

Nobody will have "The Rainbow", just you.

Hey I want one too !!! APC 40 is certainly a wonderful controller but it will never be a standalone sequencer. Didn't you say the rainbow will have sequencing capabilities ? Anyway if it hasn't I'll turn it into a grid sequencer. Hum ok I should finish my MBSEQ first. :D

he rainbow will have sequencing capabilities ?
yes i already have a "tete de lecture" like in MLR.
finish my MBSEQ first
MBSeq can be adapted to Rainbow with some additional code
nobody will have "The Rainbow", just you. Isn`t that cool enough?
No ! I want everybody wants a Rainbow  :P ! I want to see it on every stage, in every gig LOL

BTW, what inspire you "Chop shop MIDI" ?