new daw on the market - looks good!

ultra

I just had to press that play video button, didn't I.

I could forgive DOS3.1, The mad hard disc limits, (I mean I remember having to partition a 300Meg Maxtore as 10 30Meg partitions), I managed to get versions of Windows ME to run OK.  I fixed  the self opening email system, The Windows 2000 patches that broke all my friends studio's MIDI drivers. I've even installed Vista Home for someone that wanted it, but I will never, ever forgive them for that advert.

at least nils downloaded the demo BEFORE making fun of this software.

Well I *started* downloading it... For some reason the download is limited to 6k for me. And after about 6 hourse it tends to just abort the download. So technically I made fun of it before downloading it and definitely before trying it ;-)

This is a truly interesting tool. Make fun all you want, this could open up music making to lots of kids and others less skilled.

Microsoft Research does a lot of insanely cool projects. It's truly too bad it's all Windows-only. Nothing surprising there though.

EDIT: Typo: projects, not project. Photosynth for example.

This is a truly interesting tool. Make fun all you want, this could open up music making to lots of kids and others less skilled.

Microsoft Research does a lot of insanely cool project. It's truly too bad it's all Windows-only. Nothing surprising there though.

This is a good point actually. The tech involved in actually getting this to work is pretty cool. Even if ultimately all they've done is make a reverse Karaoke machine...

This is a good point actually. The tech involved in actually getting this to work is pretty cool. Even if ultimately all they've done is make a reverse Karaoke machine...

I try and keep away from those realms.

It's the same as when some crap pop music comes on the radio and you start wondering how hey made certain sounds and realise there's maybe a good bassline hidden away in there and the production is quite good... Suddenly you could start app recaiting Britney Spears....  ???

I tend to agree, though they really do need to work on the adverts - I don't think any music orientated teenagers would regard the product as remotely cool after that ad.

My real worry is that it becomes part of a homogenising process, where, no matter how interesting your tune/line, is has to be forced into one of the programmed genres, and then fitted to the grooves/templates provided.

The concept is good, though. Has anyone any experience with the French software that provides music to match your choices/moods?

I think too, that much of what is needed is already out there. The tune acquisition part has been kicking around the software world since the sixties, (Peter Zinovieff showed something that did this at the famous Cybernetic Serendipity exhibition at the London ICA in 1968. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybernetic_Serendipity). I think a wrapper could be built for a Linux workstation, aor a plug-in for some of the systems.

But if it gets one kid, to make a choice to make music, then I guess it's done it's job.

It's the same as when some crap pop music comes on the radio and you start wondering how hey made certain sounds and realise there's maybe a good bassline hidden away in there and the production is quite good... Suddenly you could start app recaiting Britney Spears....  ???

Um... There is nothing inherently good or bad about pop music. It's just what it is, "popular". The goodness or badness are totally separate from that, and also subjective qualities. So don't feel bad for liking a pop track. ;)

LOL.... there hasn't being a pop track i've "liked" for a long time. I can appreciate how any piece of music is put together and techniques used.

Does anybody remember the omnichord? IIRC it does a similar thing to the microsoft software mentioned but for a melody, not your voice. you strum the medody in and then it adds backing to your creation. Sounds very cheesy though. I am tempted to get one though as they look cool, have good bemding possibilites and a lot of it could be adapted for use in other projects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnichord

[quoting the last posts]

it s rather difficult to be politically correct when you are in front of a pile of hot, stinky, humid, bubbling crap

[/quoting the last posts]

RIAA hasn t been politically correct with you for decades so you don t need to be politically correct with them. Popular music is not what the people like better but what the RIAA has decided that people have to like