Knobs For SmashTV Alpha Pot

matyt

When i've ordered my parts from SmashTV, i've also ordered those pots, with 1/4" shaft....

the problem is that, here in europe, that size isn't standard, and my Sifam Bullet Type Knobs (6mm shaft), don't fit them....

Have you got any ideas? do you know some european knobs producer that make knobs with 1/4" hole?

• 2 weeks later...

The difference is only .34 of a millimeter, so they're pretty much considered to be the same thing... Push harder ;)

0.34mm -- Thats quite a bit of pushing involved.. I've come across knobs / shafts like this, and no amount of pushing (except with the aid of a hammer) is gonna get them on..  especially if the knobs are a hard plastic.

You could possible try a tiny tiny tiny bit of lubrication to aid getting them on?

Regards

Mike

Those would be dodgy knobs. There should always be a bit of 'give' in them, because of the need for a margin of error - no pot/encoder shafts are exactly the same in every manufacturer, every model, every batch made... That's one reason why metal knobs (and good quality hard plastic ones such as milspec knobs) have set screws. You'll find that good quality hard plastic knobs have ~0.5 mm 'ribs' inside them, to give them that extra bit of 'give' without making them feel like a sloppy fit... or some other kind of method to give them some room. The P401 knobs have a different kind of plastic on the inside, for example.

Sadly these kind of features make for a more expensive knob, so it's not always that way... Sometimes they just don't fit, as you've found. But they *should*, so it's worth a shot :)