Controlling Ableton: APC40, Max for Live - what do you think?

Melonenmonster

i  think this could work.  here's what you'd have to do:

use the apc40 normally.  it should automap itself to clip, instead of you having to map them (if it doesn't suck ass).  this automapping happens behind the scenes and still leaves regular midi mapping available.

then you midi map as usual from the foot controller, however you'd want to do it.  since this foot controller is on its own midi interface, you can map anything anywhere.

so basically the answer is, if you're using each one properly (selecting the apc40 script from your list of control surfaces, enabling that input to attach to the script, and setting live to accept a second midi input) it should just work.

there might be other options available if the apc40 has physical midi i/o on it (instead of just usb).

alternatively, if you know how to code in c, you can wait until i'm done with my midibox/liveapi work and make yourself a controller with the foot pedal integrated into it.  you'll have a lot more power and flexibility than the apc40, and you could use those sparkfun buttons for your clip matrix.  doing it this way makes it possible to do whatever you want (put clip names on an lcd, etc).

ultra