anybody controlling old Notator via MIDIbox 64 or similar?

rosch

has anyone built a MIDIbox device to control the old c-lab / emagic Notator SL on atari ST?

i always thought i wouldn't need such a controller because i have no software synth or harddisk recording system. but recently i realized i'm wrong: i'm using an old atari st with notator as multi track midi sequencer. so i think this would be a good reason for building sth like that...

so if someone's using a MIDIbox with this or knows what's best in this case, please let me know!!!

thanks

rosch

oh does that mean you have an atari too?

i have neither been that deep into notator nor MIDIbox HUI. i just know you could eg define an octave on the keyboard as control keys for start, stop etc. and there must be more functions externally controllable, you can mute tracks, change everything in realtime and screen record that too. but i've been doing most things by mouse, modulation wheel etc. but i'll have to spend some time reading in my notator manual to know things exactly as well as the MIDIbox HUI section. will take some time, but good to know!

i've notator sl with unitor, export, human touch so it has 3xMIDI IN and 6xMIDI OUT, 4 of which have priority for timing critical devices like drumcomputer etc.

But if you're doing the research, perhaps I can help :)

yes i'll do that.

it can take some time, but i'm sure one could start here with a small unit and then expand it step by step, too, as with MBSID & others. the most I need atm (aside from money) is understanding how these things run, think that means reading.

yes, but to some degree it can!

there's at least the control of the main functions like play, record, cue, punch / drop, stop, back to start. to ctrl this you can assign an octave on your midi keyboard, which in my understanding could be represented by a MIDIbox. all connections are via midi. exceptions are smpte, sync & trigger options but these are additional options (human touch, unitor hardware). but i'll have to check what else would be possible, too.

i've also recorded control changes in realtime, like volume control etc. with a DX7 and it worked. sysex too, but that's a thing i'll have to learn more about... so i think all this should be possible. but this will be the reading job  :)

edit: mutes and other track parameters like delay, transpose etc are recordable too (mouse) and there the search begins...

Yeh, I'm thinking more like, maybe it will accept MIDI Clock/MMC/Maybe MTC.... Can you send it messages to record? etc etc...

i'm reading the manual but i'm not sure yet. midi clock should work actually. you CAN control it externally, even via smpte, and you could use it as slave in a midi environment.

MTC = midi time code?

what's MMC?  :-[

i guess you're thinking about things like externally switching song tempo, fader assignment change by ext. command? hm and it should accept program change too so you could tell it to load a certain file from harddisk?

??? reading...