Slide pots in a sidbox?

henrikgo

I just started to plan my frontpanel for my sidbox and I would like to use slide pots for a envelope. Is it possible? If so how? And if it's possible, would it be possible to change function of the sliders in the same way as the OSC section, that is explained in the Complete Control Surface  explanation? For instance, could I use the sliders for all envelopes and switching between them with a button?

I'm terrible sorry if this have been asked before or if it's stated clear somewhere, please just point me in the right direction then.

Welcome aboard!

please just point me in the right direction then.

*SLP points*

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/

you'll have to read a lot. All the information is available in the wiki and at www.ucapps.de

But when your MB_SID is working, you'll know that it was worth it.

And Please use the "search"-function of the forum before asking questions. most of them have been already asked before.

regards,

Another "easy" way out could be adding a MB64 to the box to send the proper messages to the MBSID, no need to change code/hardware and remember that a core can support up to 8 AINs without extra hardware.Consider also the nice features that MB64 has to offer with the soft-take over function and likesuchases.

Simone

The easiest way to make use of the sliders would be connecting them to the AIN pins on the core. You can use 5 sliders (called Knobs inside the MBSID app) and assign them to different parameters per patch. Very convenient!

Um, no. The "Knobs" menu and assigments are for encoders.

Um, no. The "Knobs" menu and assigments are for encoders.

sure?

With MIDIbox SID V2' date=' analog control elements like pots, faders and joysticks are natively supported. Everything you can find in the forum about such an extension for V1 is obsolete, especially because a dedicated driver is used instead of MIOS_AIN for optimized performance.

This feature has to be explicitely enabled within the setup_*.asm file by setting DEFAULT_J5_FUNCTION to 1 - once you did this, all unusued analog inputs must be clamped to ground in order to prevent random values! This is especially required for the slave modules, when the master firmware will be transfered to the slaves via ECAN (clone feature).

All 8 analog inputs are sampled with a frequency of 125 Hz. Multiplexing (-> MBHP_AIN module) is *not* supported! So, 8 inputs are maximum.

The firmware currently only uses the first 5 inputs of J5, the remaining 3 are reserved for future features.

[b']

The converted values are forwarded to the knob handler. This generic approach gives you all advantages of the knob concept: value changes can be forwarded to two sound parameters, a Min/Max range can be specified, and the converted values are also available as modulation source!

The feature behaves differently on master and slaves:

* Master: analog inputs are forwarded to the *selected* SIDs. This has the advantage, that each SID can be controlled from a single set of pots and/or joysticks. If you find this impractical, a small and harmless firmware patch (AIN_NotifyChange: remove the branch to "AIN_NotifyChange_Master") allows you to realize a dedicated control for the master only.

* Slave: analog inputs are only handled internally independent from the selection.

Note that this feature can also be used to control the SID from analog signal sources, e.g. from an analog step sequencer, or an analog LFO.

@cimo:

Perhaps you already know, but I was thinking about this too, and i want to replace ALL the encoders by pots. So I need  more than 5 inputs.

2 x midi mergers  and  2 x 74HC00 (like LTC-module) are needed if you want to record the parameterchanges made by the 64. Even when you can control your SID with a MB64 before it, the SID wont forward the cc or nrpn before the internal Midi-Merger of your SID is enabled. For softwareupdates or for controlling your SID from another piece of hardware (like your pc) you'll need to activate the internal Midi-Merger of the MB64, TOO.

But that causes again another problem, ...... , every data what is coming from your midioutput => to your sid and 64 will run THROUGH both to the input of your pc (or whatever) again. I think that really isn't what you are looking for.

A "should be" working solution can be found in this post:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12105.msg99514.html#msg99514

The yellow boxes indicate the 2 needed midi-mergers (2 cores)

As you can see, the outcoming MIDI-Data from the "host" and the mb64 needs to feed 2 inputs each. You can't solder the output directly to both inputs without an additional IC between. Look at the LTC-Module. With the 74HC00 you can make 2 signals from 1.

So you need:

- 2 additional cores for midi-mergers

- 2 74HC00 circuits for doubling the outputs

abc

ADDED:

All this won't replace the layer functions !!! These must be implemented into the MB64 if you want this.

I havent tried this method or julienvoirin's what he used in that post. But both could help you. I think that this MBLink Start and Endpoint thing could do that job too.

Hint for programmers only: you could write an application which sends the pot values via MBNet (CAN interface) to MBSID. Advantage: very generic approach, highest speed (CAN messages are transfered with 2 MBit/s), no MIDI merger required, no additional latency caused by a MIDI merger connected between your MIDI keyboard/PC and MBSID

So long you don't ask me "how can I enable this in the firmware" or "could you please write me the complete application", I can give you the required details. You can reuse some parts of MBSID, but in this case it will be assembler-only.

It could also be realized with the new MBHP_CORE_STM32 module, in this case a driver for MBNet written in C and a pot handler which can scan up to 128 analog inputs is already available. You only need to write the communication handler (pot in ->

MBNet out)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 weeks later...