Can I use a GM5 to interface with computer AND provide bus power to midibox?

grnsky

Hi. I am kind of newbie so sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am building a midibox with the CORE and DIN from SmashTV and I'd really like to be able to use this with my laptop via USB for both power AND midi signal. Is this possible? If so, will I just look for a 2-pin jumper on the GM5 to connect to J1 on the CORE? Will there also have to be another connection to the CORE that transfers the midi data? I'm guessing yes obviously, but how would that work, would I connect the GM5 to where the midi jacks are supposed to go or something like that? I hope this is possible - it would be really cool!

(I already put my name on the GM5 list)

If I am wrong, is there any other way to accomplish this? By the way, according to Smash TV, the J1 on the CORE ought to receive 7-10V and 500ma so I assume that's what I'd need from the GM5 or any other alternative. Thanks!

You'd wanna connect the USB power from the gm5 module to J2 not J1. This will work, but USB power has a tendency to be relatively noise so it's not gonna be too nice for audio - midi and digital stuff will work nicely. Just make sure to keep the current down. There's only so much a usb port can handle, bright blue LEDs and huge backlit LCDs might not be a smart choice ;)

i tried this out and it works fine.  you just need a two-pin jumper from the gm5's available vss/vdd to j2 of the core, like nils said.

for current requirements, by default i think this will only allow 100mA (maybe it was 200?), so check your current.  if you edit the code appropriately and burn the eeprom for the gm5, you can get up to 500mA (but i wouldn't go quite that high in case of spikes).  i got this working on an ultracore (core + 4x IIC + banksticks) with two bright optrex lcds at about 400mA.  i might have had some other hardware attached as well.

i don't remember offhand how i did it, but i can look into it if you need > 100mA.  let me know.

ultra

thanks...hmmm...I'll have to find out exactly what the current drain will be of my device. I just read though on the GM5 page on ucapps that the USB via GM5 can provide 500mA. If that doesn't work, I may have to ask you again about the details of how you did that with your GM5.

By the way, I didn't realize that some people already have GM5's - there a waiting list now; were you in on an earlier batch that got sent out? If so, how well did that work out with them distributing it?