Power requirements

grnsky

I am also a noob but I did some calculations and with my basic setup from Smash, 15v 1A was plenty.  If you are worried, it is better to go high on the amps (that's what I did). 

To get the precise answer, just figure out what you are going to build in terms of options, look at all your components, and then add all your amp draws up.  If they are less than 500mA, you'll be fine.  If not, you risk damaging something.

As far as I can tell, one of the main variables is the LCD you choose.  Different ones can have fairly different mA requirements.

I also have a smash and am a newbie...how exactly do you "add up" the requirements of your components? Right now I have just a DIN, AIN, and CORE. Does that add up to more than 500mA? Is it true that having more mA can't hurt? Do having more mA also mean that you better make sure the Voltage is higher too?

Thanks!

Do having more mA also mean that you better make sure the Voltage is higher too?

that has nothing to do with voltage. just look that your psu gives at least the mA that are required by your components. some more's good too to have reserve. but taking e.g. more than double of what your circuits draw would simply be waste of energy.