gm5x5x5 Bulk order #2 - done

nILS

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The options I put in the poll are all options that I am willing to give a shot. Red on black has been tried before for instance and erm, well it's not all that readable :) So in short - no, color combinations that are not in the poll are not an option.

lol I was joking... :P I'm not even partaking in this bulk order... well, maybe I'll get one if it's not white and I'll send my completely unsoldered white one from the last bulk to that one crazy fool who likes white PCBs. (He's just forgotten to vote... he will soon, I'm sure)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been putting together a mouser list here:

http://www.midibox.o...5x5x5_part_list

If someone could doublecheck it, it would be great.

The Sil headers/pins are not included.

Smithy, I put together the Mouser list on the wiki page this morning using the US Mouser site. If you would like to compare your list against mine maybe we can merge together the best options. I bet we probably chose different parts in some cases.

EDIT: I really like the jumpers I chose because they are RED like the PCB. :)

Edited by frailn

Smithy, I put together the Mouser list on the wiki page this morning using the US Mouser site. If you would like to compare your list against mine maybe we can merge together the best options. I bet we probably chose different parts in some cases.

EDIT: I really like the jumpers I chose because they are RED like the PCB. :)

No problem! I went for metal film resistors automatically,

didnt really think about which would look nice!

As i can see you put more thought into this, so your list should be fine! :ahappy:

I'm not sure where to ask these questions but since this topic seems active...

1. I was wondering how much power the gm5x5x5 pulls with 5 active channels and the LEDs? From the information provided, it would seem that a power supply isn't needed at all, and that USB power is enough. But I would like some idea of how much it can consume.

2. I read a few posts about using the EEPROM to set the proper power initialization procedures when using only USB Bus Power: is this relevant to both PC and Mac? And will the initialization always fail with USB Power, unless a powered hub is used?

Thanks!

1) That'll depend on your LEDs/resistors. In my case (yellow/green LEDs with 1k resistors) it pulls ~95mA while sending and receiving sysex on all 5 outputs/inputs

2) I haven't had any issues with that neither with nor without the EEPROM.

Everyone who signed up got a PM.

With the exception of "ankage" as that user doesn't exist. If that's you, send me a PM pronto! For the rest of you: Don't change your usernames, especially not before I am done communicating with you ;) If you should have but haven't gotten one send me PM pronto!

1) That'll depend on your LEDs/resistors. In my case (yellow/green LEDs with 1k resistors) it pulls ~95mA while sending and receiving sysex on all 5 outputs/inputs

2) I haven't had any issues with that neither with nor without the EEPROM.

Thanks! I have one more question: in several MIDI out circuits I've seen, the 7414 is followed by a 220 ohm resistor to pin 5, making the MIDI out ciruit:

7414 out -> 220 ohms -> Pin 5 || Pin 4 <- 220 ohms <- +5 v

This out resistor is omitted in your circuit: why do people put it in if it makes no difference?

TIA!

It's not omitted it's just in the wrong spot in version 1.0 of the pcb. It's between the gm5 and the 7414, protecting the gm5 from overly excessive current draw which can never happen :) In the new revision the 220 Ohm current limiting resistors are moved after the 7414 where they actually make sense. Congrats, out of 150 building these you're the second person to notice :) The first one was TK of course :sorcerer: