nILS

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

As a small heads-up: The stm32 on the core32 module is solderable by hand without any voodoo. And it's a good bit smaller than the gm5. The gm5 you see in the pic is my "let's see when it'll die"-gm5. It's been soldered and desoldered ~10 times using different techniques. And it's still happily doing its job.

So: no worries, pay attention to what you're doing and you'll be fine! :yes:

gm5_vs_stm32.jpeg

Thanks for the encouragement nils,gm5 chip soldered okay but not tested as I need to order a few bits yet.

I actually got fed up with the chip moving everytime I breathed/farted/burped/coughed and ended up placing a pinhead size piece of blutack under it to keep it still......loads of flux from the pen and a clean up after with the braid and it looks pro.......ish.thumbsup.png

cheers

Paul

Edited by taximan

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question:

I used frailn's mouser order for gm5x5x5, and I've gotten it almost completely built. Here's my mundane, seemingly obvious inquiry...

On the order there isn't a 1uf capacitor, but there are 7 Polyester 0.10uF Film Capacitors when there should only be 6... I didn't catch the missing 1uf capacitor until now, so is that extra 0.10uf cap gonna be okay in C10, or should I order a 1uf?

Thanks,

grizz

I thought that orderlist was fixed by now... Would you mind fixing it? My interwebz is GPRS at the moment so loading the wiki is a pain.

100n/0.1uF should work - I made the same mistake a while back and the gm5 runs fine. If you happen to have a 1uF cap use it, if you don't, just stick the 100n in there :)

I thought that orderlist was fixed by now... Would you mind fixing it? My interwebz is GPRS at the moment so loading the wiki is a pain.

100n/0.1uF should work - I made the same mistake a while back and the gm5 runs fine. If you happen to have a 1uF cap use it, if you don't, just stick the 100n in there :)

Fixed. Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Grizz

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello nils & everyone,

i'm interested in getting 5-10 gm5 "chips" (pre-burned atmel AVR).

PLUS, i would also be interested in (at least) 1 pcb with a proven layout. (i don't really care if it is 5 or just 1 out, 5 in/outs would be very nice and practical though)

but i am new in midibox world and am confused. i understand that i have to join a group-order list in the wiki.

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/gm5x5x5_pcb_bulk_order

i was just about to drop my name on the gm5x5x5 pcb order list, when it seemed very unclear to me,

a) whether the list is still active (can i jump on now?)

b) if the list is for pcb purchases (it says so at the top) or just for the AVR microcontrollers (gm5) , because it says "chips" above the "who wants some - round 3"-list

c) does a gm5x5x5- PCB (for ~10 euro) include the actual gm5-controller?

d) if it is a list for ordering just the gm5-microcontrollers, what is the price for that?

any help would be appreciated, i really tried my best jumping between the wiki, forum and the usb-midi.com pages. but i just couldn't get it clear enough to put my name there.

as i said in the beginning, i am mostly interested in USB-to midi bridge for my own project, but a proven pcb would probably help a lot.

if it would be easier (faster) for me to just order the bare gm5 microchips, i'd prefer that!

also, i'm a berliner and ready to meet in a u-bahnhof with people that sell this stuff!

kuuk / stephan

Edited by KUUK