Light weight MIDI player/sequencer

Gioxannes

Hi to all!

Like the "Midi router to share" topic, I placed this one here. I think we actually need a software folder for non-directly to midibox related projects written by the people here.

I need a small and fast midi file player with midi-thru capability, and of handling NRPN events dedicated to the player. With the NRPN events I want to be able to mute/unmute tracks (NOT midi-channels), and everything else that comes to mind.

It should be possible to run this on a machine as simple as 100mhz under window, or linux. Which I will put inside my synth. (I could use a 700mhz board if necessary, but I'll try to do it with the old one).

So I decided to make it textmode based. Recording on the moment is not an issue. That I do with my desktop which is more powerful and running Rosegarden under Linux.

So I spend the last two days collecting ripping, coding, compiling and I got something working.

- based on curses/ncurses library which are free

- using the CDK toolkit which is free as well

- capable of handling up to 16384 tracks simultaneously

- all the code I ripped was under the GNU license (version 2)

Both the library and the toolkit are available under windows and linux.

However I have problems with the midi-file reader. Does anyone have proper code (prefarably a single small routine) for reading midi-files. the one I have works, but does funny things if channel zero is specified.

Is there interest in this project here? Are there suggestions?

On the moment I am without a job assignment, so I got plenty of spare time  ;)

Gio.

However I have problems with the midi-file reader. Does anyone have proper code (prefarably a single small routine) for reading midi-files. the one I have works, but does funny things if channel zero is specified.

Is there interest in this project here? Are there suggestions?

On the moment I am without a job assignment, so I got plenty of spare time  ;)

Gio.

Hi,

I've written a fair amount of MIDI software that runs on both Unix and Wiindows (console).  I used a rather ugly bit of code found on the 'net consisting of two files, midifile.c and midifile.h.  I'm sure there are many better examples out there!  If you can't find anything I can try to dig up the copy I started with...

I'd be interested in your player app....

---john.

Like the "Midi router to share" topic, I placed this one here. I think we actually need a software folder for non-directly to midibox related projects written by the people here.

It's very rare that it's needed, so misc does the trick. I think the guys have covered all your other questions :)

• 2 weeks later...

Cecem: I do not have the possibility to run it on a ATNGW100, but I do not see a reason why it should not work. For much as it is worth I can borrow a UBNT 600Mhz router and check it on that one.

For the rest. Programming is my profession and more too often I start making things myself only to realize later that somebody else has already done it, or there are useful libs that would have been of aid.

About the sequencer. I ripped out the composer command functions (a way of controlling the sequencer with combination of keyboard keys). The recording functions, the punch in functions and metronome functions.

I added track looping and muting.

Then it was time to add controlling the looping and muting through midi commands. As mentioned earlier I thought of NRPN events. But while having a better ,look at it I was really tempted to dump the windows compatibilty and move to using the ALSA library. Nice events parsers and sequencer functions. As well it has an easier way of connecting it with jack. Currently the software uses file-desciptiors and is actually using the OSS /dev/midi functionality to keep windows compatible.

Then I discovered the virmidi module, capable of adding 4 extra raw midi ports to the computer. Linked them to the /dev/midi[1..4] directory and was able to use the ExCuSe in combination with jack. (Spending time looking for alternatives, does pay off).

On the moment it is capable of handling 16384 tracks simultaneously with midi controlled track muting/playing. Tested with Serge's vmidibox.

The project is starting to take shape...

• 3 years later...

My needs are quite similar (small, reliable, midifile player), and MANY THANKS guys, here is the answer, midibox again is the winner ! :frantics:

My last post was about the mackie HUI to remote control the mixer, and now the midifile player can be done with the same midibox, i'm just dreaming awake !

sonner or later my band will be "all midibox powered" ;)