Limits on distance between AIN/DIN and Core?

SilverZero

Is there a "safe" or even documented limit to the cable length between an AIN/DIN module and the Core module? For example, is it feasible to mount an AIN and a DIN in a foot-pedal chassis (foot buttons and expression pedals) and connect it to a separate "main" controller enclosure that houses the core and another set of pots/buttons/LCD/etc.?

I saw somewhere that MIDI specs put a 50ft. limit on cable length, does that apply here as well? The total distance between the pedal board and the enclosure would only have to be 2-3 meters at most.

Thanks!

Thanks cimo,

Do you mean I need to power the AIN somehow, or just make sure I have a good power supply to the core? (10-12v, 500+mA or so, right?)

And as for coax cable on the analog part, is it the shielding that's important? The only coax I know if is a single conductor with a shielded jacket, and the AIN connects to the core through a ribbon cable (10-14 wires). Right?

Do you mean I need to power the AIN somehow, or just make sure I have a good power supply to the core? (10-12v, 500+mA or so, right?)

both

And as for coax cable on the analog part, is it the shielding that's important?

it helps, a lot, if the connection will be "on the air" i mean outside a metal box then i d say it s mandatory for so long distances, also remember that it could work nicely in your lab and then give jitter in another situation, better to be on the safe side.

The only coax I know if is a single conductor with a shielded jacket, and the AIN connects to the core through a ribbon cable (10-14 wires). Right?

nop, AIN-CORE is only 5 cables.

You can find coax with multicore

for 5 coax multicore, you could use RGBHV video cable. dunno if they sell it in so short length, i've only ever seen the 50m looms, or maybe 20m ones :-P

maybe you got to pay attention to impedance etc., i think these may be relevant to you:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=c43cebc93f105690a49ba30c21b1f6a9&topic=6570.0

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,13094.0

I may have to do some testing with this and report back. It sounds like the signal may not make it without proper amplification from the pedal board. Does this mean that I can't just rely on the power output from the core to the AIN to return the signal strongly enough?

Ugh, I'm hoping to avoid having to use two PSUs for this project.