Critique of MOTM format MBCV Panel? (AOUT version)

moogah

Just about finished this panel last night and would like some feedback from anybody who is used to working with MOTM format and FPE.  In particular, suggestions on better and cheaper fonts would be appreciated!

EDIT: Up to version 8 now, many little details have changed.  There is now a subpanel for mounting the LCD and Pad-Per-Hole, but it is not likely big enough to hold the remaining MB modules so another 90 degree bracket will probably be needed to complete a build.  I've switched the cutouts to the E-Switch 5500 series since I don't have the marquardt's in hand and I'll want to build this ASAP.  I'll be ordering these files today.  The subpanel posted here is expensive!  The reason is mostly due to having countersunk holes on the reverse side which adds 10$ alone.  For those who arn't rich I'd recommend just removing the countersinks entirely on the subpanel.  There is also a 2mm recess added to the backside of the frontpanel which is meant to let the display sit inside the panel a little bit.  I did this for two reasons, one that I think it will look a little nicer (MOTM panels are quite thick) and the second is that it gives a little bit of room to work with when trying to find the right size standoffs and spacers.

MBCV_MOTM_v8.JPG

MBCV-MotmPanel_v8.zip

MBCV_MOTM_v8.JPG

MBCV-MotmPanel_v8.zip

uCapps.de -> uCApps.de or better midibox.org

There are no Yes/No buttons. One button is used to navigate through the menu pages (called "Exit" button, but you could also label it "Menu"), the other to store/restore snapshots on the mainpage, and to move the cursor inside menu pages (called "Select" button)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks TK, will make those corrections tonight  8)

Still considering panel designs for my rackmount MBCV.  The CV/gates will be on the back, and I can't decide whether it's more logical to go with:

CV1, GATE1, CV2, GATE2, CV3, GATE3, etc...

or CV1, CV2, CV3, CV4, etc ... followed by GATE1, GATE2, GATE3 ... (as you have it)

Looking at your panel just reminded me that I haven't made up my mind yet!  :(

For me that decision would depend on what I wanted to use it for.. I wouldn't put the jacks on the back in the first place, that's my preference.  But if I was primarily using it to control monosynths and the like I'd keep the jacks in CV/Gate pairs as it will help keep your cabling nice and neat.  For a modular it's less predictable how things will be patched and I have a premium on keeping similar items grouped together, hence the grouping of the CV and Gate jacks

In particular, suggestions on better and cheaper fonts would be appreciated!

DIN 1451, 1-stroke :)

At 2.5mm text height, 0.2mm engraving width, it looks pretty good.

If you increase the text height, you could increase engraving width. Just be careful because paint-filled engraving comes out just a little bit thicker than it looks in FPD, and you want to preserve gaps between the strokes in letters. In FPD, if text looks thin at 0.2mm and just right at 0.4mm, then set it to 0.2mm and it comes out great.

Hi i am building my MBcv too,with an out Ng..don't think about my front panel,yet.

1 thinking the choice of engraving can give lot of economy(yesss.. Wilba).but it seems the position of cv and gate jacks will be a nightmare...spiderman..i dont find an other solution...not yet.. ???thanks for your work ,keep us in tune,i am very interested. Best regards ;)

First post updated:  I found some problems with the spacing of the mounting screws so I've removed the attached .fpd until they are correct (I've also found that a standard MOTM panel is just a little bit smaller than 3.5 inches.)

@W: thanks!  that's what I needed!

@Sebo: Blue!  Looks really nice  8)  How are those Yusynth VCO's?  I've got a stuffed PCB for one here, but haven't gotten around to making a panel for it yet..

Hi:

I didn't played much with the Yusynth VCOs yet. Two of them tracks well for 7 octaves and the third a little bit more than 8.

They sound very good. I finishing the cabinet now, so when I take the modules off the carboard box and put them in the cabinet,

I will do some recordings.

First post updated.  All that is left now is to consider using counter sunk screws to mount the LCD, and also if there needs to be another set of mounting holes to help mounting the vero board which will hold the buttons and DINX1 circuit.  I need to rummage through my bins tonight and see if I have some peices which match the dimensions of the LCD and therefore can re-use some mounting holes by stacking the vero and LCD boards...

• 4 weeks later...

Before I forget, here are some pics of the CV, mostly assembled:

.. sorry I don't have a thumbnail...

4xd_traces005.jpg

4xd_traces008.jpg

I've been able to make some changes and improvements in the method of using a back panel for mounting the PCB's and I'll be integrating that into my MOTM SEQ.