Bulk Order #3 of SoundWell rotary encoders **SPARE BOX OF 96**

Wilba

*** This bulk order is CLOSED ***

I'm running another bulk order of rotary encoders, I'm too lazy to write it up again so I'll just quote the original, see strikeout changes:

My intention is to see if I can buy the minimum order quantity of 2000 now, which will meet my current commitment of ~400 for Aussie MB-6582 builders, ~50 for /tilted/ who's been nagging me for some, and another ~250 for me. So that's 700 that I need, with 1300 spare. 1300 is actually less than I ultimately will need for the MB-SEQ kits, so if there's say 10-13 people who want 96 each, then now is a good time to run this bulk order for the extreme MIDIbox builders who want a lifetime supply of encoders :) and I will get another 2000 later just for the MB-SEQ kits. If you're crazy and want more than 96, I can sell you multiples of 96, but shipping will be approximately the same.

I have arranged will arrange to import 2000 approximately 2000 of these encoders:

http://en.soundwell.cn/newEbiz1/EbizPortalFG/portal/html/ProductInfoExhibit.html?ProductInfoExhibit_ProductID=c373e91a7c13d8c38f6acbc483ecd9ba&ProductInfoExhibit_isRefreshParent=false

ProductMgmtResourceServlet?ProductID=c373e91a7c13d8c38f6acbc483ecd9ba&AttrName=BigImage

and distribute to the MIDIbox community in lots of 100 96. 96 instead of 100 (easier to pack, comes within 750g-1kg postage range, so cheaper postage)

The specific part number is EC162102E1B-HA1-006, so according to the drawing, the "L" dimension is 20mm, "a" is 12mm, "W" is 7mm, "D" is 8.9mm (takes M9 nut), the shaft is "FB-TYPE" (standard D-shaft type with notch at end like picture), 24 detents, 24 resolution.

I have fully tested samples of this exact encoder with MIOS and they are exactly the same (electrically) as ALPS STEC16B, the encoders from Voti (which come from Electronics China and which I've used before on MB-6582) and (I assume) all other types of 16mm-wide encoders which look like this one (like you see in many construction photos of MIDIboxes). They are great for DIY projects because they come with washer and nut for mounting, the leads are spaced 5mm apart and the mounting tabs are spaced 15mm apart, so they fit nicely into 100mil spacing prototyping boards.

As for their feel, if you have used the STEC16B or the ones from Voti, they are essentially the same, perhaps a little smoother, with a slightly more tactile detent but less of a sound, not stiffer or requiring more force to move over the detents. They come detented but are easily made non-detented by opening them and bending the metal part that rubs against the disc attached to the shaft. I've taken shots while I did this on one of the samples.

In this shot, I've bent the tabs up. Note how they go through slots in the top part - this makes reassembly much more secure

SoundWell_Encoder_1.jpg

You can see they are of a different construction to the STEC16B and Voti ones, instead of two brushes (connected to pins A and B) making contact with a disc of radial contacts (connected to pin C), this is reversed... three brushes that are common cause bridging between one or two of the radial contact sections (connected to pins A and B) and a solid contact section (connected to pin C). I really like this design!

SoundWell_Encoder_2.jpg

Here is the detent mechanism. You can bend that copper metal part flat and it no longer makes contact. In theory you could bent it just a little to make a less tactile detent.

SoundWell_Encoder_3.jpg

How Much?

Estimate of cost of 100pcs, including M9 washers and nuts, and including shipping:

To the U.S.: $67.41 USD ($0.68 each!)

To Europe: 49.79 EUR (0.50 EUR each!)

Price will be relatively the same. It will still be a good deal compared to Mouser or Voti.

The exact price might be a little different to allow for PayPal fees, exchange rates (payment will be in Australian dollars), and customs duty fee (10% of shipment cost). I don't think that people really care about a slight difference when it comes time to pay... they will still be a lot cheaper than Voti's or Mouser's prices for the same part (eg. 1.25 EUR from Voti, or 100@US$1.76 for Mouser part 318-ENC160F-24P, and that doesn't include shipping or customs duty).

I am only selling these in lots of exactly 100 96 per person box. Do not ask me for "just 15".

It is quite likely that SmashTV will order some more of these and sell them in small quantities in future, and it will be a lot easier for him to sprinkle a few in your next SmashTV order. This bulk order is mainly for the people building a few projects and want to stock up on rotary encoders at a bargain price.

Terms of Sale

I am selling these encoders, therefore I guarantee they will be as I describe in this post, such as the dimensions, electrical characteristics, MIOS compatibility, ability to remove the detent, etc. If the parts delivered to you do not meet these criteria, you can return them to me for a full refund (including return postage costs).

All you have to do is post here, to confirm your interest.

I retract the phrase "extreme MIDIbox builders who want a lifetime supply of encoders".

It seems the 100 nebula bought from me last time was not enough :)

LOL - I sold/traded/gave away a lot.  I have a few projects planned, which will leave me down to a dozen or so ... and I never want to run out.  They are simply great encoders.

So .... interested in 96.  I wanted 103, but you're being difficult.

They come in trays made of thin white plastic, shaped like ice cube trays, with two encoders in each compartment.

Last time I sold these, I could neatly pack 48 compartments in a standard parcel box, with four more encoders thrown in to make up the 100... the weight just went over 1kg and into a higher postage price bracket (1kg-1.25kg instead of 750g-1kg).

So in the interests of saving people money, and slightly neater packing, 96 is a better number. If you want a gross, I can do that too. :)

BTW I also welcome people to take on a box and split it amongst people local to you (eg. MB-6582 builders). People intending to use my MB-SEQ PCBs (eventually!) don't need to worry, I will be selling 17 per board if they want them, but they could get their encoders now if they want and have enough for other projects.

They come in trays made of thin white plastic, shaped like ice cube trays, with two encoders in each compartment.

Last time I sold these, I could neatly pack 48 compartments in a standard parcel box, with four more encoders thrown in to make up the 100... the weight just went over 1kg and into a higher postage price bracket (1kg-1.25kg instead of 750g-1kg).

So in the interests of saving people money, and slightly neater packing, 96 is a better number. If you want a gross, I can do that too. :)

BTW I also welcome people to take on a box and split it amongst people local to you (eg. MB-6582 builders). People intending to use my MB-SEQ PCBs (eventually!) don't need to worry, I will be selling 17 per board if they want them, but they could get their encoders now if they want and have enough for other projects.

LOL, I was hoping there'd be some crazy project lined up which needed 96 encoders.

Will split the ones that I don't need once I think about building an MB64  ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...