Yet another annoying noob list of questions - SORRY!

Austin73

Hi, been lurking on the site for a little while confusing myself silly. But I have been a bit more pro active in searching the forum etc and still need a bit more advice in a more compact from.

I have decided to build a MIDIBOX 64 or similar using SMASH tv's boards and PIC but need a few things confirming.

I just want to use the box to control elements in ableton so not sure if I need a LCD as I would program Ableton to the MIDIBOX rather than vice versa is this possible to just set up the box once via software and negate the need for a bank stick.

Also what pic would suite this project best I'm new to PIC's and did read up but SMASH does still feel slightly confused. He also offers to burn the PIC which means I don't need to program the chip further unless thru midi correct?

Is there a quick pic or tutorial that I could look at regarding wiring the switches and pots to the ain and din.

And last but not least where can I get the 74HC165 chips here in the UK?

Sorry to ask such rubbish questions but I got a bit lost and fingers crossed

Aus 7

Hi!

I just want to use the box to control elements in ableton so not sure if I need a LCD as I would program Ableton to the MIDIBOX rather than vice versa is this possible to just set up the box once via software and negate the need for a bank stick.

Sure, you can do it without LCD and bankstick.

Also what pic would suite this project best I'm new to PIC's and did read up but SMASH does still feel slightly confused. He also offers to burn the PIC which means I don't need to program the chip further unless thru midi correct?

You are right. If you order the PIC from Smash TV it will be pre-programmed with the boot loader so you will only need to program it via MIDI. You will need a PIC18F452 for the MB64 project.

Is there a quick pic or tutorial that I could look at regarding wiring the switches and pots to the ain and din.

Look here:

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_ainx4_64pots.pdf

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_dinx4_32buttons.pdf

and generally at the page for the separate module at ucapps.de

Good luck!

Cheer for that strophlex, its all starting to make sense now - I got confused looking at SMASH's AIN boards with VD and VS but all sussed now! Is it possible to try the programming software with out the midibox just to give me a quick idea on what it does?

Just need to find the 74HC165 and I'm done lol

Aus

And last but not least where can I get the 74HC165 chips here in the UK?

You can this part in the UK from;

RS

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=74hc165&x=0&y=0

or Farnell also stock them, couldn't find them on Maplin's site but I'm sure a Google search will find other component suppliers with them.

Hope this helps

cheers for that , sort of getting the whole thing now. Pretty much got the whole thing planned out now, BUT just one thing :) On Smash's pcb kits he has the pins for all interboard connections is there a plug I can get somewhere to fit or is it just as easy to solder multicable between the boards

cheers for that , sort of getting the whole thing now. Pretty much got the whole thing planned out now, BUT just one thing :) On Smash's pcb kits he has the pins for all interboard connections is there a plug I can get somewhere to fit or is it just as easy to solder multicable between the boards

Under Female SIL Crimp Connectors in his shop you can buy parts to build your own interconnection cables. They mate with the standard headers and you will need some ribbon cable with them. He sells ribbon cable too, but I use to use old IDE computer cables which can be found anywhere for free these days. Buy some spare connectors to practice your cable building. Expect to break one or two before getting skills.

thanks Stryd, and everyone else - you've been a massive help. Looks like I'm ordering this weekend. I might even do a post on how I'm getting on so others don't have to ask all the same silly questions.

The Dinout module that controls the LED's can that be controlled by Ableton to show clips playing or is that way to advanced at this stage?

Aus

thanks Stryd, and everyone else - you've been a massive help. Looks like I'm ordering this weekend. I might even do a post on how I'm getting on so others don't have to ask all the same silly questions.

The Dinout module that controls the LED's can that be controlled by Ableton to show clips playing or is that way to advanced at this stage?

Aus

Because of the modular structure you can start off with the din and ain modules and once you got that working you could hook up a dout module too. i don't know much about interfacing ableton live. i am sure it can be done but i don't know how difficult it is. it would require some coding though becuase it is not a standard feature of mb64. there are some threads about live controllers that you could check out.

Cheers Strophlex, I had a quick look and it seems it can be done just needs programming and as I have no idea how to program in C I'll leave it for the time being lol.

Regarding powering the unit if I supply over 500mA to the board will the regulators over heat ? or will it just take what it needs like stompboxes?

Aus

Cheers Strophlex, I had a quick look and it seems it can be done just needs programming and as I have no idea how to program in C I'll leave it for the time being lol.

Regarding powering the unit if I supply over 500mA to the board will the regulators over heat ? or will it just take what it needs like stompboxes?

Aus

Regarding the current rating, it will just take what it needs.