No testtone sound on OPL3 channels 3+4

Wilba

• 2 years later...

I am assured that I should expect the testtone on channel 3+4, but right now I can only start thinking up unlikely explanations such as, the YMF262 really is not outputting on channels 3+4, since the output on DOCD pin is 0.28V (effectively logic low all the time?) whereas DOAB is 2.24V (an average of logic low and high?)

What else could I possibly do to work out what's wrong?

I read this words and I remember my own ( recent ) experience in this way with the OPL3 board, and I want to share it. After I published the pictures of my FM board, happy with the new sounds ( on audio channels 1-2), I test the channels #3 and #4 and no sound at all!! then I try some things like to reflow the tin joints, to shorten the flat cable, test_interconnection software and here there was a weird thing happened: when I hit the DO and DO# keys ( in sequence ) a "click" was heard on #3 and #4 channels ( the same thing on #1 and #2 ) then I thought the four channels could be right, then I remembered i recompiled the firmware with the option "AOUT_NG" enabled and this cause some upload errors, so I thought "could it be the recompiled firmware the problem in this case? I thought it due to the following reasons:

I changed channel (to #3 and #4) on Ensamble menu and nothing happens ( Only #1 and #2 working )

I set no audio channel at all and sound continues on #1 and #2

Then I download the compiled hex version ( v1 ), Upload it with MIOS STUDIO and... Crystal and beatiful sound on #3 and #4 channels!! :)

But at first some "symptoms" were that similar to what You describe (0.28 V on pin 22 C/D; 3.62 V on pin 21 A/B )

• 1 year later...

I recently built a second FM synth and for the control lines RS A0 A1 RW  I used a 14 cm flat cable and channels 3 & 4 sound good, and notes sound without anything strange or spurious

Although i bought some old  creative sound cards, I found some YMF262 and YAC512 offers at ebay and Bought them, a few soldering and shorten control cables and I 've got clear sounds!!