.tel

Kartoshka

meet new guy in the block.

.tel

.tel is not another Top-Level-Domain like the rest we already know. edit: seems like it is.

more info

http://domainsynergies.blogspot.com/2009/04/are-tel-addresses-new-vanity-phone.html

and even more across the web.

nice example: cancel.tel

edit2: http://www.webtrafficconsultants.com/tel-domain-name-advantages-list.htm

That's pure spam.

It's just another TLD. If people purpose it differently, it doesn't change that it's just another TLD.

If I draw a picture with a pencil, is it a pencil? Now if I write a letter with a pencil, does that stop it from being a pencil?.....

literally, it is another tld, with purpose totally different from all previous altogether.

it is a media channel, not more than.

think of that: you want to write your friend's num in your phonebook.

—"what's your num mate?"

—"http://someonewhocares.tel/"

for most humans, combinations of words are easier to remember than combinations of numbers.  ;)

—"what's your num mate?"

—"http://someonewhocares.tel/"

Err, and how does that differ from

—"what's your num mate?"

—"http://someonewhocares.com/"

By three letters. that's where the difference ends.

with purpose totally different from all previous altogether.

TLDs are all meant for a different purpose to all the others, that's what they do, they logically (and only logically - only inside our heads) delineate by purpose. At least, that was the idea. Time has shown that they don't persist. Regardless it's needed because while there might be a mcdonalds restaurant, so mcdonalds.com, there may also be an ISP called mcdonalds, so mcdonalds.net.

That' why the concept that the entire world will be using a .tel domain for a contact address is bizarrely flawed. I would guess that my real name would already be gone. Why would Fred Bloggs choose FredBloggs1980.tel or some other crap he doesn't really want, when he can just take FredBloggs.com?

That page you linked us to talked about phone apps for example. There's no reason whatsoever why the apps can't use *.com or *.to or *.whatever.au, just as well as they can use .tel. It's not the domain name that dictates what your device can do with the data it receives from the server, it's the data. Which brings me to the next bit:

for most humans, combinations of words are easier to remember than combinations of numbers.

Exactly, and that is why the Domain Name System, or DNS, was conceived. DNS resolves a server's name into it's IP address. There's nothing a .tel can do that a .com, .net or .frog could do. 

It occurred to me, so far I've ignored the well known issues of lost and worse yet parked domain names. They may actually be able to get around that though..... how? well...

This whole thing is worse than just erroneous. It's intentionally misleading, and IMO dodgy as hell. What's going on here is that some company has bought it's own TLD, with the intent to forcibly attach a service to it's subdomains and charge for it.  So, while the TLD itself is no different to any other, the owner of the TLD, is different.

Well, kinda - because in the end, selling domain names is a crock. While we're posting links:

Crazy Domain Insane

Note in the comments, the only disagreement to him, comes from people making a buck by selling domain names that they bought not because they needed them, but in order to develop an artificial scarcity.

What .tel is doing, is pretending the real scarcity doesn't exist, and trying to create a demand that doesn't exist.

I called spam, and I call it again.

That page you linked us to talked about phone apps for example. There's no reason whatsoever why the apps can't use *.com or *.to or *.whatever.au, just as well as they can use .tel. It's not the domain name that dictates what your device can do with the data it receives from the server, it's the data.

good point stryd, you made a good point.

it doesn't matter which tld it is, but sooner or later we needed that DNS phonebook/contactlist ability.

A matter of application idea, developed by anyone, be it telnic folks or else.

btw: thanks for a great read. Or were you spamming me back?  ???  :) Or spam is the .tel issue? Why spamming?

And when we talk about phone applications, here it comes:

LOL frailn!

but sooner or later we needed that DNS phonebook/contactlist ability.

A matter of application idea, developed by anyone, be it telnic folks or else.

Yeh that's for sure... Although, that's not so much an application that's required, as a standardised file format like vCard. Then all that's needed is to embed such a file into any webpage, and many apps can use the technology. As you can see from that link, the tech is already in place... it's just not widely used. That would suggest that the market doesn't exist, but it's clear that .tel are trying to generate that demand based on hype. (see:: iPod, and terminology such as 'podcasting')

Thus, the spam is what .tel are doing... They're encouraging online hype about their product by claiming that it is something which it is not. I came across that blog link while I was looking into the specifics of ICANN's "new" policies regarding TLDs (I wanted to make sure my opinion was correct before I mouthed off heh), and I was also visiting icannwatch.org (it's important to get both sides of the story!). I found it particularly interesting because unlike the many opinionated people who mouth off about this matter, who are not really in a position of nameity on the subject (like me) that post was written by someone running an ISP. Kinda hard to argue with what they're saying, given their position in the field, and their educated and informed opinion makes for an educating and informing read :)

On that note, I was also chatting w/ my flatmate, who's a big iron unix guru who has worked for a large Australian ISP, and he pointed out to me that in order to obtain your own TLD, you must pay a *non-refundable* USD$150,000 *application* fee to ICANN. That means, you have to pay 150K just to *ask* them, and they can still say "no", and keep the money. What's more, if more than one person requests a single TLD, they can take in 10 of these application fees, and only give out one domain. Pretty shifty, but that's ICANN for ya. ICANN are supposed to be non-profit, but anyone who's worked with organised crime syndicates will tell you that NPOs are the #1 way to make money. That's because the organisation itself may be non-profit, but it might be paying a very tasty salary to it's employees. With the price of domains being what they are, I find it hard to swallow that *someone* isn't making a pretty penny out of it. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors going on though, which is why most people aren't really sure where the money is going, or how a company can purchase the rights to onsell these services. Heck, this whole thing is happening because ICANN have standardised their method of application for new TLD's, which didn't actually change anything, so it was really just advertising to the public that it is possible to obtain your own TLD if you want; ie, removing some of the smoke and mirrors.

And the really funny part is the original DNS RFC that states something along the lines of "It is extremely unlikely that any new TLDs will be introduced". Even back then , they knew that it was an unnecessary measure. I guess they didn't expect the internet to be such a prime opportunity to create money from nothing, or maybe they underestimated people's inclination to buy into advertising hype and lust for the same old turd in a new bucket :D