Forum tags bug

OK I can't take it any more..... Sorry to hijack, and yes I will tidy up and split this conversation off later and make your thread go back to normal.....

WTF is up with everyone posting tags that have a space in front of them like that?

How did that happen? What part of the system is it, that makes this so common? I'm ***really*** tired of fixing up poorly entered tags. Is it something like, you are entering them all on one line as one big tag and the system is splitting them? or you're using commas between them or something?

Please, don't get me wrong, I am not mad at you, and **I don't want you to fix them** (because then noone will know what I'm talking about). I want to find out **how/why** it keeps happening, so I can prevent it in future.....

Sorry for this little error stryd_one.

I will try to not do this on my next posts, you know, im very newbie here. But in this topic and in my other topics I just split the tags with a comma and space before them, I don´t know why. Perhaps a habit I inherited from my webmail when i send multiple emails, I think.

I think that a little message in the topic post form will prevent this.

But, im dont know, these spaces affect the search function?

Sorry for this little error stryd_one.

Please, don't get me wrong, I am not mad at you

No, really, I don't mind - I just really wanted to know how this happens so very often.

in this topic and in my other topics I just split the tags with a comma and space before them

AHA so that's what it is! That is exactly what I wanted to know. This is a bug in the forum software and I will report it to SMF/the plugin developer, so we can get a permanent fix. The forum should ignore whitespace before and after separators.

THANKS!!!!!  :D :D :D

• 1 month later...

Just bumping this thread to bring it to the attention of the new mods...

Guys, we need to check every post (yeh, yeh, I know it sucks) to ensure the tags aren't effected by this, and if they are, manually delete them and recreate as necessary.

We should check them all anyway; to remove the junk tags (some seriously spurious tagging goes on around here, it messes up the cloud); to fix up typos etc; and to ensure that common tags are used (eg delete a tag that says mb-6582 and replace with mb6582); among other tidy-up type stuff... This is just one more thing to add to the list of checks.

I'm no longer making efforts to chase the bug down, as the plugin is likely to be replaced with alternate software in the not-too-distant future (is that still right, twin-x?)