XBee wireless bi-directional MIDI link

Sasha

15 Miles!? Good Lord.

Hmm. After hours, get up in the drop ceiling at work, wire up the audio of my monosid to the PA speaker in my office. Next day, come in with my wireless XBee and start sending SID sounds throughout the office randomly...

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't done a lot of testing yet but it seems to work. 

Well, I've done some testing now and have since upgraded the original XBee's to the Pro version in an attempt to get better range.  I'm using the ones with 'chip antennas' and I understand you can get much better range if you use proper external antennas.  The Pro radios work around the lower level of my house, around/through walls, etc.

I've pumped a lot of MIDI sequences through without any obvious issues, and would be happy to do some real testing if y'all let me know what you want to see and how to do it.  I'll give it a shot at least.

As an aside, for MIDI I'm using a Roland serial driver and not the Korg driver mentioned on LadyAda's site.  I couldn't get the Korg driver to work properly.

Good news :) The reason I ask is, that you can't really use a PC to test timing, because the timers on them that would be used as the time reference...well... suck. Likewise they can't be trusted to generate the signals you're testing... fortunately we have midiboxes for that ;)

Probably the easiest way to start a test, would be to push midi clock from a midibox, across the xbee link, and use your scope to measure the serial output pin on the receiving-end xbee. Because midi clocks are 0xf8, you should get a fairly decent square-ish pulse out of it every time a clock message is rec'd. Then I guess take a walk around with them and see how it fares...