Gold contact on board soldered completely off. Need guidance

Echopraxia

Hello.

I started soldereding my OPL3 board and of course right when I got started soldering two of the gold contact pads came right off. I never had this problem with soldering my core,dins,dout,iic,bankstick ect. Should I go a buy a gold contact pen a draw then back in? Also the weird thing is the two pads that came off I think might go to ground (the dark green area on smash's board). Correct me if I am wrong on this

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\OPL3R1ba.gif

Picture didn't load right will post pic of whcih pins later. Looking at smash's solder side picture on the opl3 big single chip top row 2nd from the right and 4th from the left. Can these be left not soldered. I tried scratching off some of the board where the pads were but it seems like there is nothing the solder can latch onto.

[img=http://C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\OPL3R1ba.gif]

I don't have access to that file :)

(Try clicking 'Additional Options' when posting, to attach images)

This sounds very unusual... accidentally removing pads while *de*soldering is par for the course, but while soldering... I'd be checking the temperature of my iron, if I were you...

Aside from that, I'd confirm what these pins do exactly, and then you can see if they are a suitable candidate for running wires to the pins, from elsewhere on the board.

Looking at smash's solder side picture on the opl3 big single chip top row 2nd from the right and 4th from the left. Can these be left not soldered. I tried scratching off some of the board where the pads were but it seems like there is nothing the solder can latch onto.

If i understand you correctly, you're referring to pins 2 (/IRQ) and 9 (TEST) of the YMF262 chip.  If so, they can safely be left unsoldered as they have no connection.  If you look at the PCB images, you'll see that the pads were only as large as the pins and didn't go anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

OK so now I tried to desolder my (most likely fried) opl3 chip from the opl3 PCB and sure enough I ended up taking off other solder pads that were relevant to the boards survival. So I take it a 40 watt iron is just too hot for desoldering. Of course its the only iron I have. And I still have to take out the yac512 chips and probably will have the solder pads get lifted off on those as well.

accidentally removing pads while *de*soldering is par for the course
So crap... So I guess easiest thing is what stryd said
running wires to the pins, from elsewhere on the board
Other than that I woudl have to some how put new pads on or repopulate a whole new board. I don't think using cut resistor leads and scratch off some solder mask to make a bridge would work because the cut lead would cause the smd chip to lay uneven.

So let me just think of a worst case situation where all the chip's solder pads fall off the PCB. Would you just hold the chip with a helping hand and solder wire directly to the smd pins which then go to correct components on the board?

This should be fun. I will try to get the other chips off and start from there. Wish me luck cause I'll need it.

Regards,

echo