MIDIBox64E encoders and LED rings usage question

Urgon

AVE...

I'm going to make a MIDIBox64E, and I have some basic questions:

1. I want to make 8 encoders with LED rings + 8 buttons with LEDs setup, but also use 2 additional encoders and LED rings to select banks separately for encoders and buttons to have 16*8 parameters controlled by encoders and 16*8 button controls. Is it possible?

2. Is it possible to add 7 segment LED displays showing value of currently rotated encoder?

3. Is there any designed PCB for making LED rings?

Welcome aboard urgon :)

With some programming it could be possible to add an encoder for selecting preset banks, and a display to show the selected bank... I hope you know some PIC ASM :)

I seem to remember seeing a layout for LEDrings posted not too long ago, perhaps it was by sasha? Try the search engine and see how you go...

HTH!

AVE...

Well, I'm just starting my PIC ASM education...

I read about page selection buttons in MIDIBox64E, when there is less than 64 encoders, for example in 1 encoder version or 16 encoders version. I would like to replace these buttons with encoder...

And another question:

MIDIBox64E has support for 2*16 LCD display, but had anyone programmed support for 4*20 LCD?

I decided not to complicate my work. My first MIDIBox will be simple as it is. But I still want the 4*20 LCD. Help, anyone?

• 4 weeks later...

AVE...

I have some further questions regarding MIDIBox64E, and because I don't want to make too much mess, I'll place them here.

1. Can I use ANY MIDI-to-USB converter to send SysEx dumps and MIOS?

2. Can I have one AIN module with 2 DIN's and 1-2 DOUTs? Is there a software limitation?

3. Is software capable of using AIN signals as Note On/Off+Velocity messages?

Ad. 2-3. - I'm working on a simple pad design to make a MPC60-style controller. If it works, I'll share it here...

BTW, you should place a note at http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_core.html page, that only PIC 18LF452-I/P or 18F452-I/P  are good, I almost bought 18F4520...

1. Can I use ANY MIDI-to-USB converter to send SysEx dumps and MIOS?

No. Most will work, some won't, as a lot of cheap devices have issues sending/receiving/forwarding SysEx. Make sure the device isn't on the blacklist.

2. Can I have one AIN module with 2 DIN's and 1-2 DOUTs? Is there a software limitation?

You can always use the max. number of supported modules (which is mostly 8).

3. Is software capable of using AIN signals as Note On/Off+Velocity messages?

I don't know since I haven't worked with mb64, but I'll go out on a limb and say if it's not supported yet, it'll be easy enough to implement :-)

Ad. 2-3. - I'm working on a simple pad design to make a MPC60-style controller. If it works, I'll share it here...

Nice. Feel free to share your info as you go along - this might save you some troubles in the long run, as potential problems are way easier to spot with a few extra pairs of eyes :-)

i will be making a bpm replica shortly for use with my software which is similar in that it uses the mpc pads also, and i will be using the mb64e for this as well, as i get on with things i will start a photo build also, so you could always pop into that once started to have a read and look, also as you can see the guys here are really helpful.

AVE...

Another question:

My laptop doesn't have any RS232 or MIDI ports. Many USB<->MIDI converters are beyond my financial reach(either I'll have a working MIDIBox or working USB<->MIDI cable). Can I use PCMCIA<->RS232 interface and LTC module to upload MIOS and send SysEx dumps? Has anyone tried this?

• 3 weeks later...

why not just get a gm5 kit? put your name in the wiki list for the next run of gm5 boards and chips, its a real nice cheap usb powered midi interface, you could place that inside your case and link that to the core using the internal mi/mo pins to send midi to and from the core via usb. then on the rear of the case you would only need holes for the psu and usb socket.

ayo dudes

yes ssp, gm5 seems the best solution for handle with USB. Unfortunately not for me, that live in a place where the words import stuffs was banned from dictionaries.

And as I have checked last week, even in Reichelt.de the AN2131SC chip wasn't available. So no USB module for me. Or maybe, under all the histories , I'll go to the PIC USB MODULE or finally surrender to a decent MIDI interface.

So, my question still in the air. Is there a way to build a DIY MIDI-to-USB converter similar to an cable? I see a lots of cables selling, and in other places of the globe it's cheap, then I can't understand why it's havn't a DIY way yet.

Think this question can help a bit our petitioner Urgon

KB