bpm controller

ssp

update:

spent yesterday and today working out each sr assignment for each button and encoder and fsr pad, all is ok. today i had to re-assign the placement of the menu buttons.

the assignment for these are in the setup file, as the start pin is 0 thats the first buton for the menu to be assigned to.

this is the standard assignment:

#define DEFAULT_ENC_DATAWHEEL 0

#define DEFAULT_DIN_MENU_EXEC 7

#define DEFAULT_DIN_MENU_RIGHT 6

#define DEFAULT_DIN_MENU_LEFT 5

#define DEFAULT_DIN_MENU_SNAPSHOT 4

now as you can see there is a datawheel on 0 something i did not know about, if i re-locate this to pin 7 it will automatically use pin 8 as the second pin so i guess this will let me scroll through the menu once selected

so i changed the above to this:

#define DEFAULT_ENC_DATAWHEEL 7

#define DEFAULT_DIN_MENU_EXEC 0

#define DEFAULT_DIN_MENU_RIGHT 2

#define DEFAULT_DIN_MENU_LEFT 1

#define DEFAULT_DIN_MENU_SNAPSHOT 3

this gave me the placement of the menu system on each button i wanted it to be, remember that 0 is the first pin not 1 thats why the menu is moved to 0.

now the menu system and left right store buttons are exactly where i want them. the other 4 buttons that are normally other functions are now spare assignable function buttons which will be very handy indeed!

pics and video to follow soon

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

i have finally finshed all the link cables and headers for the boards. had a few issues last night for some unknown reason and it drove me nuts all night long, so much so i didnt get to bed till 7am.

i had a fader that was just going mental on me for no reason, sometimes it would fluctualte sometimes it would set the fader next to it off. this meant soldering and unsoldering faders all night long testing paths on the board, checking cables , making new cables, checking those before and after connection.

it got to the point i wanted to bin the board! then at around 5am i picked the boards up and checked them again, the fader that was giving me issues was not the culprit, the one next to it was. the leg that went into the fader itself was loose and not pressed down inside the fader correctly. this meant that when not touching the track properly it would have this issue.

i grabbed a spare fader and replaced it, a deep breath and fired it up and all was working. i took the bad fader apart today and i have re-pressed the leg down and its fine now so i have a spare again.

lesson learned from this? check fader legs from now on

final checks tonight, had to change the orientation of a little raiser board but thats ok as soon as i did all was fine.

tomorrow i do the lower case mount holes for all the boards and fit them in, attatch all the cables and do a power up and edit everything to where it should be then save it to the bankstick.

once that is done, i will then remove everything and prep it for the panel graphics. i also have to do the side panels and wrap them with the buffalo vinyl cloth.

fit all the encoder knobs on, clip the encoder wheel in, and once the cap for that is locked in, its done.

im not rushing this one, just a few things to do and its finished. :frantics: :frantics: :frantics:

just spent the morning using the in built menu system and built in edit event system to manually change features for each button and pad etc. it was easy and very quick to do.

when you read the tutorial for the mb64e a few things are not detailed but if you look at the built in manu system and also look at the editor things become clear. the one feature i really like is the ability to assign a toggle to a momentary button, so if you need a button to be latching as well as momentary you can using the "edit event" menu option make the button a toggle/latched button and thereby use it for things like solo or mutes etc.

the rest of the day involves finishing the gfx.

worked on the gfx today and tried the lazertran on two buttons as per the instructions. well they printed out ok and i am happy with it, however i notice that on the plastic caps they lift back off which is a shame, so i wetted them down again and then as they were alsmost dry placed them upside down until i coat them with the satin clear coat tomorrow. hopefully that will do the job!, however i may key the surface with some 1000 grit wet and dry and re apply some new labels.

it says that after applying the clear coat the white of the backing goes clear, i hope so!!!

piccy of the two buttons.

BUTTONS.jpg

Edited by ssp

i applied a section of lazertran to a small powdercoated swatch plate i had, the transfer went on fine and when dry the whole thing was a milky white background with the print nice , crisp and strong. i noticed the edges when dry were slightly raised, there is nothing i can do about this i cant even rub them down with some fine wet and dry as the lazertran would lift. so i think the best thing to do when i apply the rest to the casework is to cut close to all the gfx so as to reduce any lifting.

with a few coats of satin spray laquer, i used a trade professional car laquer which has an adjustable fan head on the top of the can for a wide paint fan when spreayed i laid a light coat over the plate. using my small fan heater i dried it so it was slightly tacky then re applied the satin laquer, doing this several times to build the layers up.

the end result is very good, much better than i thought it would be, ok it isnt screen printed but then im not paying several hundred pounds to have it done when this is just as good for my own use.

here is the plate with the laquer applied.

testplate.jpg

been tweaking a few things, and checked the side panels. i have to wait for the vinyl to arrive to cover the panels. the graphics are ready to apply, plan is to do them this week then apply the laquer as soon as possible afterwards.

using the controller with the software, makes things so much easier now.

100_3464-1.jpg

checking the fitment of the side panels.

100_3467.jpg

ok well i have had a busy few days.

i was able to finish the graphics for the front panel in illustrator and print them to lazertrans, i left them cure overnight. then i cut them to shape and soaked then applied to the casework.

here you can see the transfers just after application, the milky white is where they are dry, the clear is water left to dry off.

finaltrans.jpg

heres the case drying off after a coat or so of laquer, the laquer has made the transfer go completely clear, after this has dried i will then rub it back with some fine wet and dry and then use some compound to polish it up a bit.

mainlabel.jpg

heres the case re-assembled and finished (almost) i just have to wrap the side cheeks in the vynil and put the gfx on the buttons, apart from that its finished.

2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

im quite pleased with how its turned out, however i think silkscreen would have been better than the lazertran, but then it would have cost almost £200 to have had that done and i really wanted to try the lazertran out.

in use the controller is great, the software responds to it extremly well and its mapped to all the features now.

i plan on making an expander for it that will have extra controls, encoders, faders buttons etc that can be mapped, so im working on that at the moment as well as the design for the console for the next build.

i really need to thank nils for all his help with this, he was able to suggest a workaround for the fsr sensors and also cleaned up my really bad eagle efforts and arranged getting the boards made in china. also the guys in the chatroom who i bugged non stop checking and re-checking things and making sure i was getting certain bits of code right. thanks to thorsten for the amazing thing that is midibox and mios without which this project would not have happened and also for all his help recently with me learning meta events. also thanks to wilba for sending me the encoders and the lcd displays i needed for this all the way from australia.

im looking forward to the next build eagerly!

ssp

Edited by ssp

• 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...