So how did I go with soldering?

unrise_lyrical

Well I have finished soldering the CORE, DIN and SID modules for my synth :) I figured I would post some pictures up on here to see if my soldering is decent enough in more experienced people's opinions. I have only really started soldering stuff in the past 2 months, and I am using an OLD soldering iron...but enough excuses. here are the pics :) Figured I would upload biggish ones...if what I did is right, it could maybe be referenced by others in the future? Who knows...

CORE TOP

coretop.jpg

CORE UNDERSIDE

corebottom.jpg

SID TOP

sidtop.jpg

(wanted to make it my desktop background so its a tad large!

SID UNDERSIDE

sidbottom.jpg

DIN TOP

dintop.jpg

DIN UNDERSIDE

dinbottom.jpg

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Please ignore the little bits of dust looking stuff on them. Used some 100% alcohol to clean the flux up along with paper towels...takes a while to get rid of all the little paper fibres :P

Mostly good, except for where it's beaded up, like on the SID underside..hard to tell on the directly above pictures.

It should be a nice curve leating up to the pins ( /|\  shaped ).. not like a blob sitting on it (Potatoe on a stick)

Regards

Mike

You seem to be using a bit too much solder and kinda drip it on like candle-wax. Try not to touch the solder with your iron but the component, and then let the heat from the component melt the solder. Other than that it looks good!

You're using too much solder. You should try heating the joint first, then applying just enough solder so it gets sucked into the hole, then add a tiny bit more to get a nice "tent".

What might be happening is, you're heating up the lead/pin enough for solder to stick, but not heating it up enough (or for long enough) so the solder gets sucked into the hole. Sometimes you might have trouble with long leads or a pad on the ground plane (see pic).

These you should do again... it hasn't formed a good joint onto the pad.

5247_Untitled-1_jpge06d061a77a7bde916b8a

5247_Untitled-1_jpge06d061a77a7bde916b8a

It is a towel :) hehe, I was trying to go for something that would make it easier for the macro setting to focus :) but thanks for the advice!

Thanks for all the replies guys. Yea, I had a feeling I may be using too much solder :( I really need to save up and get a new soldering iron I think...this one is at least 20 years old (decent Weller one...but its OLDDD...my dad's one). The two that you circled wilba...what do you reccomend I do? Just heat it up again and hope the solder goes down the joint? Or buy a solder sucker, remove the solder and try again?

Heating it up won't correct anything unless you add flux

exactly. Usually, most of the solder has a rosin core, but I prefer adding additional rosin (kolophonium) diluted in alcohol to all my components' pins and the PCB. This decreases the surface tension of the solder dramatically and everything goes really smooth.

Solder tends to attract to the hottest point, and won't stick to anything that's cold, so make sure you're heating the pad enough as well. The soldering iron should be touching both the component lead and the pad (remember to keep a small amount of solder on the tip to act as a thermal conductor), and the solder should be applied directly to the joint, not the iron tip. On the blobs in question, it seems that the pad didn't get heated enough, and that the solder just pooled to the hottest point.

Getting both a solder sucker and some desoldering braid is a good idea, as they each have their uses. For example, sometimes the solder sucker will suck out most of the solder from a joint, but some might be left in the hole, then the braid can be used to get that last bit out. For a very small pad, sometimes it's safer to use just the braid and not accidentally suck up the pad with the sucker.

cheers wilba, I will pick up a braid first (don't even know what they are/look like to be honest, but I will look into it after my exams).

One question I shouldnt even be asking,  but I got overly excited and put them in...is how do i safetly remove the ICs again? I don't want to risk bending the legs on them...have tried removing some in the past and NEARLY snapped the legs off (didnt though...but it was close! they were like...90 degrees bent).

• 4 weeks later...

I see more solder than necessary on lots of joints, but they all look shiny, you can still see the component leads, and it looks like you got the bond you need.

The real problem with using too much solder is that is becomes harder (if not impossible) to inspect the actual solder joint.  But from what I can see, it looks like you applied enough heat, because the surfaces of the joints ("fillets") are smooth and shiny.

I think desoldering is a lot of work you probably don't need to do, and in the process you could damage your board.  (After you lift your first track or suck out your first plated thru-hole, trust me, you'll be cursing).

If it ain't broke don't fix it.  I'd bet that your boards will work just fine.

i had a look at the pics, there are ball joints, and pool joints there, these are very very succeptable to freeing themselves from the pads. i used to work for panasonic and various other companies and when inspecting we would remove and rework anything that was not grade A soldered even through a smt paste and oven set up through to flow tanks.

because a ball joint has minimal pad contact its the first one to lift when there is a thermal build up and cool down process, this is because the surface area that the solder grips to has no cohesion. the pool joints always look like they will hold and will do however 9 times out of 10 they lead to dry joints that will need re-working.

as nils stated earlier in the thread the best way to achieve a good solder joint is to have a clean tip, get some solder, apply the tip to the pad and componeent leg, then gently feed the solder to the point of the tip and it will flow around the pad and component. the solder effect your looking for is a nice clean flow around the pad and leg, you can achieve this without using loads of solder, getting a full contact area with the solder achieves maximum cohesion and will ensure a good firm joint this is also known as "wetting the joint"

personally i would rework some of the joints this will make sure that there is proper adhesion and flow between pads and components, otherwise if things are not working correctly when powered up you may still have to do some re-work.

heres a picture of the solder joints on my core which as you can see have just the right amount of solder on them the pads are fully encased and theres a flow towards the tip of the component leg, there is no dryness to the solder its clean and not over fluxed either.

solder.jpg

here is an interesting article that can explain the process in more easy to understand laymans terms with some graphical explanations.

http://www.twyman.org.uk/PCB-Techniques/Email-Article.htm