Upload Mios Error - Received SysEx message of less than 8 bytes

MONSTA

This is the first MidiBox I've attempted, so forgive me if I'm a bit of a noob.

I have built a pic core with LCD module and PIC18F452 from Mikes shop. Connected the core through a Midi/USB cable and it appears in Mios Studio fine with the Midi In Monitor showing the "SysEx: F0 F7" message every 2 seconds.

I then downloaded the "mios_update_v1_9f" and tried uploading "update_without_installed_mios.hex" which starts, but I get this error:

Received SysEx message of less than 8 bytes.

I've done a search in the forums but can't find out how to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Christian

I have come to the assumption that it's the midi Cable. I'm taking it back tomorrow and just getting 2 midi cables that should connect either through my NI Audio 8 or I believe people have had success with Axiom25's, even if it does sound like a pain to get setup.

I'm using this interface:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48612

The only other alternative without ordering online was a ESI MIDIMATE which is on the list.

I can't believe I forgot to put what OS i'm using, sorry about that, I am running the latest version of OSX. If anyone knows of an interface that definitely works (maybe on ebay.co.uk) then I'll order one right away.

Thanks again

Christian

Ok, this seems to be a firmware bug (maybe a protocol violation), because from my experiences with various interfaces (and especially with the MBHP_CORE_STM32 module) the internal MacOS driver works pretty stable (IMHO the most robust implementation compared to Windows and Linux solutions I know)

I added the interface to the blacklist.

I hope that you've more luck with your NI Audio 8

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Ok got another MIDI cable today to try out. Can I just check with you that I am definitely meant to install "update_without_installed_mios.hex" if I've got a pic straight from MIKES, rather than one of the other ones...

Cheers

Christian

update_without_installed_mios.hex or mios_v1_9f_pic18f452.hex will work in your case.

(I guess that the most recent bootloader version is already installed, therefore you could also upload MIOS directly)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks TK for all your help and also for setting up this amazing community/project!

I am currently in the process of documenting all of my findings/progress and hope to start a blog in the next few days to help beginners like myself out. With the intention of having a more step by step instructions of the building process and information for people without prior electronics experience.

I hope you don't mind me doing this and I will refer back to uCApps throughout obviously.

Christian

As a senior around here, please let me make a suggestion and please consider this seriously: offline-documentation is nice, but it tends to get lost over time. We do have a Wiki (see the button on the top of this page), why not create a user page there and document your findings where it is obvious?

Or as stryd_one would put it:

<broken record> offline-docu bad.... </broken record>

;)

Best regards, ilmenator

I hope you don't mind me doing this and I will refer back to uCApps throughout obviously.

Thats a great idea, thanks for your help to improve documentation! :)

But as Ilmenator already wrote: it makes sense to use the Wiki. Advantage: everybody can help to keep the pages up-to-date whenever details are changing. E.g., if I should ever release a mios_v1_9g.hex file (no need yet as there are no known bugs), I will probably ommit the update_*.hex variants, as nobody uses the old bootloader anymore, accordingly there is no need to check if an update is required.

Refering to a update_without_installed_mios.hex file would only lead to unnecessary confusion.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey guys, I managed to successfully get my midicore working (well the LCD is saying READY), so all good there. The Audio8DJ doesn't work with SysEx messages, I'll add it to the blacklist, but my axiom25 worked fine (maybe it's a good idea to have a list of interfaces that does work).

On the point of the blog I mentioned, I will of course add to the wiki when appropriate, but the point of the blog was to just document the making of my own controller and give a bit of an idea of how it is made. So things like, to start I got this kit from Mikes, it includes a core that does this, a couple of douts that do that, a GM5 to make it into a USB device etc. I won't be linking specifically to mios files etc, just mention that I had to upload the mios and what it is, with a link to the main download page here and the wiki page on it.

Is this ok? It'll be pretty non specific, just bits and pieces of information on what I'd just done, how and why to give people a bit of an idea and send them back here for digging more.

Along the lines of this one: http://noofny.blogspot.com/

I only read the first few posts of there but it helped me understand the process a lot and convinced me to go out and get the kit from Mikes.

Christian