Simple sequencer idea ? Calling guru's

Futureman

Calling all midibox programmer guru's..

I've got a small idea that I recon would be very handy.. (For me at least, and possibly others)

Have any of you used the Rolands SH-101's sequencer , or the very similar JX3p's sequencer?

They are very simple, basically you press "load" and then bash in all the notes you want. (The SH-101's is monophonic, while the JX3p's is polyphonic)

If you want a rest, you press the "rest" button, if you want a tie or legato, you hold down the "tie" button while pressing the next note.

Once you have entered in all your notes etc, then you press "Play" and the sequencer plays.. once it reaches the end, it starts over.

The cool thing is that you can give it (5v) triggers to advance the sequencer step by step, so creating very complex or funky riffs is pretty easy.

I'm a big fan of the SH-101's sequencer, and use it everyday for various roles.. it's bullet proof and it's simplicity is its power.

I want this, but done with midibox via midi and a few extra features.

-One MIDI in for clock (for preset time signatures, ie 1/16th, 1/8th ra ra ra) or for a note advance kind of sync.. (a pre-defined note message in here advances the sequencer to the next step)

-One Midi in would be from the controller keyboard, programming in da riffs.

-One midi out, for, well, playing it back.

-One trigger in, for the old schools like me that still use 5v pulses to drive stuff.

- A few buttons like "Load" "Tie" "Rest" and maybe a few other buttons for stuff like accessing another sequence etc

- Not sure if a screen is needed, but it might be REAL nice to see how many notes & rests (total steps) you have entered so you know when you hit 64 etc..

I might be dreaming in hoping someone out here could program something like this.. but I'll be mighty pleased if they did..

Any thoughts?

Kind regards

Mike

• Like 1

Is that one too complex for your taste?

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,13684.0/topicseen.html

Or do you *really* want to input single note values with a keyboard?

Cheers,

I did check that seq out, but yes, I *really* want to enter in notes from a keyboard... being a keyboard player lol.

The small issue I have with entering note in via an encoder or pot (MB-SEQ, Doepfer MAQ etc) is that I feel it doesn't improve your musical skills at all, it just makes them even more narrrow... Don't get me wrong, tho, I LOVE my MB-SEQ's... they are the hubs of my setup.. I just don't use the encoders to enter in notes.

We also play live quite a bit.. don't use computers, and improvise.

It's pretty hard to pick out a specific riff you have in mind using a few knobs.. Fine if you are at home alone and have lots of time to kill, but not so great when playing live and you turn out a C# when you wanted a C.

I don't know if it's cool to put up a "Bounty" for such a project, but I (And my mates) certainly would if it's allowed?

Instead of cash, probably a piece of gear like a drum machine or something like that.. (HR-16, TR-505,  Casio SK-1 , Speak and Spell , Speak and Math easily come to mind)

Kind regards

Mike

- Edit - I don't want a finished hardware product, I can do that myself.. it's the code I can't do.. (Just to clarify)

• 1 year later...

Hi Mike!

I was looking for something similar .... maybe between a simple seq for live recording and a trigger generator to play analog sinth.

I found on the net some machine from FLAME like echometer or clockbox that are intersting but there is no soldering no drilling no programming...

I already build an mbcv and a seq V3... but the feeling with the machine is not properly for my musical skills, I like keyboard switch and button with only one purpose.

I tryng to study the code of varius application ( and I know that everything I need is in the repository) , It's hard for now ...I'm tryng to add a clock generator and a simple

midi note recorder to my mbcv but maybe the pic is not enough powerfull to do this....

Did you reached some new resoults in your research?

salut to all midiboxers

petrolio