Nord pitch stick

spazmatron

I really like the feel of the wooden pitch stick on some of the Nord synths.  They can be purchased for $75. 

From what I understand, it's a metal strip, with some kind of pressure sensor mounted on each side.  I couldn't find that anyone has used one of these in their midibox from searching the forum.  Perhaps do to the cost?  I think I would be willing to pay if I could make it work. 

Does anyone have any more info on this?  I'm no pro, but I was thinking it could be implemented with an ain module?  I guess it depends on the specs of the sensors.  I don't want to drop $75 if it won't work.

Thanks for your opinions.

• 2 months later...

I really like the feel of the wooden pitch stick on some of the Nord synths.  They can be purchased for $75. 

What exactly is $75 dollars? The piece of wood? The whole assembly including the sensor? From where?

anyone have any more info on this?  I'm no pro, but I was thinking it could be implemented with an ain module?  I guess it depends on the specs of the sensors.  I don't want to drop $75 if it won't work.

Nord has a patent on their design, which explains everything in great detail http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5696345.html . I know very little about

electronics, but it looked like in the end you would have a variable voltage

you could feed into an analog input (AIN).

Best,

Alexander

• 2 weeks later...

It's a  strain gauge design, like the sidestick on the original F16, (which was rapidly replaced because it didn't provide any force feedback). Strain gauges are delicate to handle, tricky to implement, and need a bit of fancy analogue stuff to function. buying one from Nord probably doesn't get you the interface, just a spare stick. They finally provide a voltage output.

You might be easier served with some kind of softpot arrangement.